BibTexCiteKeyOnly – drag & drop does not work

Hello,

I do not know when or why it happened: I cannot drag & drop references in my TeXMaker documents any more. A few days ago it worked.

I use BibTexCiteKeyOnly as translator (of course it is in my translator directory), zotero 3.0.7, Firefox 13.0.1 Canonical/Ubuntu.

I tried a clean install of zotero, i gave official FF 13 a chance – still the same. I can drag & drop with every translator and style except BibTexCiteKeyOnly. No error message occurs when dragging – it just does not paste into the document. When using ctrl+alt+c zotero displays the following message: »Ein Fehler ist aufgetreten bei dem Versuch, die ausgewählte Datei zu exportieren.« No error number, nothing else.

I checked and sent error messages in zotero preferences:

1340554103021 Sync.Engine.Tabs WARN DATA LOSS: Both local and remote changes to record: f7p3GhBoTbUF

[JavaScript Error: "Zotero.configure is not a function" {file: "/home/michael/Dropbox/zotero/translators/BibTexCiteKeyOnly.js" line: 26}]

Bug report ID is 1556606188.

Any help appreciated! Thank you very much in advance.

Michael
  • don't put your Zotero folder into dropbox - it's not a supported set-up and it's likely to lead to database corruption. I'm not sure this is related to the translator problem (looks like there could also be an error in the custom translator you're using), but it very well could be and as long as you do it we can't support/troubleshoot your problems.
  • Thank you for your advice and hints, adam,

I changed my Zotero folder back to my firefox profile. This did not solve the problem, but I followed the error message to line 26 of BibTexCiteKeyOnly.js and commented the following lines out (please excuse if this is horrible English):

//Zotero.configure("dataMode", "block");
    //Zotero.addOption("exportCharset", "UTF-8");

Now drag & drop with BibTexCiteKeyOnly works.

Thank you once again, I appreciate Zotero and all of you helpful people here very much!

Michael
  • and commented the following lines out (please excuse if this is horrible English):
    that's perfectly correct English ;-)
    I believe the BibTexCiteKeyOnly translators is supplied by someone outside of Zotero, correct? You should report that problem to her/him.

Also, I strongly recommend leaving your Zotero folder outside of Dropbox. If you can find a way to only place the "storage" folder into a file syncing service such as Dropbox that should be safe, but the Zotero database (zotero.sqlite, which is in the "zotero" folder) should _never_ be placed into dropbox et al.
  • You are right, I just contacted the maintainer of this BibTeX »hack«, as he calls it.

I will leave all Zotero folders in my local folder, and use sync functionalities provided by Zoteros storage. Dropbox is going to be the place for (manual) backups of my library.

Thank you very much for engaging in this issue, all the best, Michael.
  • I know I am year late, but thank you @msellhoff for providing a quick solution that restores the functionality of that really useful hack.
  • Thank you, tbrambor, for your kind response: I really did not do very much ... All the best!