Bluebook law review/ backreferences- HELP

124»
  • Isis,

Try reinstalling the Abbreviations plugin (it should turn up as version 1.0.127 after the restart). I've fixed some things around import that should eliminate the weirdness you were seeing. Specifically, import with the "replace ..." option was clearing existing lists only in the database, but not in the memory cache, so without a restart of Firefox immediately after the import, old entries would appear to persist.

The "override ..." option was also flawed; it was overriding entire categories of entries, rather than individual entries only.

See how this goes. If you would like me to take a look at your JSON for import, check your Zotero messages for a mail address where you can send the file.
  • I am going through it now. I am going to post questions and comments as they come up so I don't forget them. I will * the ones that are important to me; the others are more FYI

(1) What is the intended treatment of Journal Abbrevs in the main Zotero Database? Right now it seems to be using them as a default when no abbrev is specified in the JSON but overriding them both by hand and if JSN has abbrev.
  • (1) What is the intended treatment of Journal Abbrevs in the main Zotero Database? Right now it seems to be using them as a default when no abbrev is specified in the JSON but overriding them both by hand and if JSN has abbrev.
    Yes, that's how it's set up at the moment. I've half a mind to ignore that field in MLZ and just use the external abbreviation, but many users have data that includes it.
  • (1) It still seems like Firefox must be restarted for various changes in Abbrevs to take effect

(2) After changing JSONs, the general Zotero refresh tool does not update to the new Abbrevs. I have to put the cursor in each item, choose edit and then in effect reinsert. This is inconvenient but since there is a workaround less important than some of the other hereinafter problems
  • edited October 9, 2012
    Lower Priority: The abbrevs for Journals now seem to be case sensitive.

So if my JSON says "Physiology and Behavior" should be "Physiology & Behav.", an entry labeled "Physiology and behavior" will not get changed.

Given the many different scrapers I'd vote to make this case-insensitive, but mark it low priority because there is an easy workaround for now.

Similarly, the abbrevs file should read

-"Physiology and Behavior" and "Physiology & Behavior"
    -"Journal of Political Economy" and "The Journal of Political Economy"

the same, replacing both with the same abbrev
  • The treatment of Short Titles in the Zotero DB is indeed tricky. I see the following issues with the current approach

Since I refuse to buy the BB, and can't find the answer on Cornell, you should check this, but I thought that the rule was that

(1) a short title is used for a journal article only when there is a chance of confusion in an author supra because there are two articles by the same author in the original fn. Right now, if there a short title AmLaw always uses it in supras.

(2) I think that the short title is used without the author's name (not completely sure) but the current default is to use both the author's name and the short title,

Both of these seem hard but not impossible to override, since the hereinafter field requires that you put in something as a substitute. (or is there code that means suppress?) I have tried putting in authors name as hereinafter and then checking "suppress author", which works, but the author seems to get unsuppressed when I refresh
  • Here's an interesting one.

George Rutherglen, Ricci V. DeStefano: Affirmative Action and the Lessons of Adversity, 2009 SUP. CT. REV. 83 (2009)

The original data entry is of type Journal Article has a small v, but Abbrevs, noting that there is a case name, makes it a cap V. as it would in a case name where one neglected to fill in the jurisdictions field in Extras