Item save before opening Zotero: browser pane vs app tab

I normally run Zotero as a pinned app tab. Recently I noticed that if I attempt to save an item immediately after opening Firefox, but before visiting the Zotero app tab, I get a warning: "You cannot make changes to the currently selected collection".

One of my students who normally runs Zotero as a browser pane has reported that items save immediately after opening Firefox are saved without error for him, without appearing in the (remembered but not yet opened) collection. I just checked, and he's right: if the browser pane is left hidden at Firefox startup, an item save will place the item in My Library, but not in the selected collection or group (i.e. the old behavior).

The warning is friendly and helpful. It would be good to have it across all three startup modes.
  • edited June 24, 2012
    I think that I get this error only when I start Zotero and the trash is open. I was going to suggest that, while the start-Zotero-with-the-last-open-collection function is really handy; it isnt so handy if the last opened collection was the trash.
  • That's a different issue from the one I flag in the post, but I see your point.