Error in deleting items from library

Hello,
I suppose when we choose to "delete selected item from library...", the item should be deleted both from the library and from the destination folder on the hard drive.
I just noticed that I have many duplicate PDF files in my zotero folder. When checked could not find more than one of them within my zotero library, and noticed that I have previously deleted them from my library but still have them in the zotero folder on my hard drive. I checked it again with one of my items and it came to be true; I deleted one item from my library, but still have it in my zotero folder on the hard drive.
BTW, I am using standalone version 3.0.7, but it seems the error has existed in previous versions like firefox version as well, because the duplicates are from long time ago, when I was using firefox version. Also I use Dropbox for syncing the library.
Thanks,
  • Don't store your Zotero data directory in Dropbox. You'll corrupt your database and easily get other weird behavior.

We can't provide any support for this unless you can reproduce it after moving your data directory out of Dropbox.
  • edited June 21, 2012
    Thanks Dan for the response. To test your theory, I just made a new library out of dropbox folder and added two new items and attached their PDFs to them. checked the storage folder on my hard disk and every thing was fine, I had two items with pdf attachments. I deleted PDF attachment of one item and the whole item of the other one. None of them deleted from the storage folder and I still can open the deleted pdfs on the storage folder of zotero.
    You can easily check it on your own.

Thanks,
  • There is also another evidence of the error. To get ride of the duplicate pdfs, I exported my whole library into a zotero RDF file and imported them to a new empty library. When I checked I noticed while the whole 750 items are exactly transferred into the new library, there is some 50 items less in the storage folder of the new library than that of the storage folder of the old library. I assume they were the deleted ones from the old library which were still remained in the storage folder.
  • edited June 21, 2012
    edit delete
    Thanks Dan for the response. To test your theory, I just made a new library out of dropbox folder and added two new items and attached their PDFs to them. checked the storage folder on my hard disk and every thing was fine, I had two items with pdf attachments. I deleted PDF attachment of one item and the whole item of the other one. None of them deleted from the storage folder and I still can open the deleted pdfs on the storage folder of zotero.
    You can easily check it on your own.
    Did you empty the trash in Zotero? I can't reproduce this.
  • empty your Zotero trash, bottom of the left panel after deleting the item. Only then will the items be deleted from your HD.
  • Wow, yes you are right, this resolved the issue. and I never noticed there is a trash here, shameful!
    Thank you very much