Translator issue with British Library Catalog

Hello,

Report ID:1843370488

I am trying to save a book into Zotero that is cataloged in the British Library but I am getting a message from Zotero saying that the item could not be saved. As suggested by the error message I checked the post about "Known Translator Issues" in Zotero Documentation. The British Library is not listed there.

I have saved items from the British Library Catalog before and it worked perfectly fine, I am not sure why it is not working for this particular book.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Kameela
  • edited June 20, 2012
    Hello Adam,

item URL:

http://catalogue.bl.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/display.do?tabs=moreTab&ct=display&fn=search&doc=ETOCRN217596268&indx=5&recIds=ETOCRN217596268&recIdxs=4&elementId=4&renderMode=poppedOut&displayMode=full&frbrVersion=&dscnt=1&vl%28174399379UI0%29=any&scp.scps=scope%3A%28BLCONTENT%29&frbg=&tab=local_tab&dstmp=1340228925576&srt=rank&mode=Basic&dum=true&tb=t&vl%28freeText0%29=Brundtland%20Commission&vid=BLVU1
  • thanks - I'm traveling so might be a bit.
  • Hello adamsmith,

I have just double checked this morning to see if Zotero would save this item and it is still not working. I though it may have been a glitch last time but it turn out that it does seem to be a translator issue.

Hope your traveling is going well :)
  • Also just so you know, I am using Zotero 3.0.7 on Firefox 13.0.1.

-Kameela
  • Hi adamsmith,

I am just posting this message to confirm that my Zotero issue with the British Library has been resolved. When I visited the link that I posted above, I chose MARC display which is listed in a grey box titled "Links" under the "Details" tab. A Zotero book icon showed up in the URL box and Zotero saved the book this time.

Best,
    Kameela
  • thanks - I still would want this to work - or at least not fail - from the page you link to directly, so I'll see if I can track this down.
  • had another look - the translator works (in Scaffold) but Zotero throws an error that I don't understand:
    [JavaScript Error: "Invalid item type 'false' in ItemFields.getFieldIDFromTypeAndBase()"]

Simon, Aurimas - can you help me out?
  • It works in Scaffold because Scaffold does not do sanity checking for any of the fields.

The error I get on the page linked above is
    Invalid item type articleJournal
    which corresponds to the incorrect item type supplied to Zotero.Item on line 102 in Scaffold.

I'm not sure why you're seeing itemType=false though.

Do you want to fix that or should I?
  • thanks. I was staring at this - I actually thought that must have been the issue - and didn't see that I had journalArticle turned around. I'll put up a fix asap.
  • edited June 30, 2012
    this is now fixed.
    edit: it'll start working in 24hs or you can update translators immediate from the general tab of the Zotero preferences.
    The data Zotero imports for articles isn't very good for articles at this time (OK - it's terrible). While the main problem is that different Primo installations differ quite a bit, we should be able to do better, but that'll have to wait a bit.