Zotero-generated bibliography: date order wrong and authors duplicated

I am absolutely confounded by the following issues in the Zotero-generated bibliography (Chicago) for my dissertation, which must be submitted Friday.

First, works are not inserted in chronological order.

Example:

Akasaka, Norio. Okamoto Tarō no mita Nihon. Tokyo: Iwanami Shoten, 2007.
———. Tōhoku runessansu. Tōhokugaku e 3. Tokyo: Sakuhinsha, 1998.
———. Tōhokugaku: Wasurerareta Tōhoku. Tokyo: Kōdansha, 2009.
———. Yanagita Kunio no yomikata: Mō hitotsu no minzokugaku wa kanō ka. Tokyo: Chikuma Shobō, 1994.
From this, I am guessing that Chicago asks for alphabetical order (website is down right now), but I don't get that either because this author is given multiple entries.

Example:

Akasaka, Norio. Hōhō to shite no Tōhoku. Tokyo: Kashiwa Shobō, 2007.
Akasaka, Norio, Irumada Nobuo, Kumagai Kimio, and Yaegashi Tadao. “Zadankai: Kokusai kōeki toshi, Hiraizumi no rekishi to bunka (Sekai Isan kisai enki no kankoku o meguri).” Edited by Tohoku Culture Research Center. Tokushū: Hiraizumi, ichimannen no keifu no moto ni, no. 16. Kikan Tōhokugaku (March 2008): 6–31.
Akasaka, Norio. “Kaisetsu.” In Nihon no shinsō: Jōmon-Emishi bunka o saguru. Tokyo: Shūeisha, 1994.
Akasaka, Norio, Oguma Eiji, and Yamauchi Akemi. “Tōhoku” saisei. Tokyo: Īsuto Puresu, 2011.
Akasaka, Norio. Okamoto Tarō no mita Nihon. Tokyo: Iwanami Shoten, 2007.
———. Tōhoku runessansu. Tōhokugaku e 3. Tokyo: Sakuhinsha, 1998.
———. Tōhokugaku: Wasurerareta Tōhoku. Tokyo: Kōdansha, 2009.
———. Yanagita Kunio no yomikata: Mō hitotsu no minzokugaku wa kanō ka. Tokyo: Chikuma Shobō, 1994.
Akasaka, Norio, ed. Nihon saikō: Tōhoku Runessansu e no joshō. Sendai: Sōdōsha, 2003.
Hōhō to shite no Tōhoku and "Kaisetsu" should be included in the group below. Why aren't they? For "Kaisetsu," I suspect it's because this is an afterword (I haven't been able to successfully add the book's author, but I see there's a workaround and I'll try it). But Hōhō to shite no Tōhoku is a simple monograph, just like the books listed below. I recreated that entry in my Zotero DB with cut-and-paste to make sure that the author's name is 100% identical in all cases. It is.

Could it possibly be that Zotero is sorting alphabetically based on the following letter, rather than on the title of the work cited? That would explain this: HIKOOTTY, but not the final work for which he's an editor. So clearly Zotero understands the difference b/t authorship and editing. Does it not understand single vs. multiple authors...?

Your help would be appreciated.

FYI: Standalone 3.0.7 and Word 2011 on Lion (fully updated as of today)
  • Try installing this plugin, and let us know what results you get; it swaps in the latest version of the citation processor. I believe that a similar issue was fixed fairly recently, so running the new processor might clear things up for you.

As always, be sure you have your data and document backed up before trying it out.
  • fbennett: Looks like a FF extension...? As noted, I'm using the Standalone. Can the updated citation processor be added to the Standalone?
  • edited June 17, 2012
    Actually, the plugin may not be needed. It looks like your style just has a broken sort key. We've definitely seen that before, and recently. What style are you using?

(Edit: Plugins can be installed in Standalone, but let's see if we can sort your issue out without touching the software.)
  • Chicago.

BTW, attempting to update the source list or change document prefs crashes Word just about every time.
  • Two questions to follow. Which Chicago version (the full name)? Also (prompted by your mention of crashes) how long does it take to refresh the document containing the bibliography, and (roughly) how many references does it contain?
  • edited June 18, 2012
    Chicago Manual of Style (full-note)

Document is c. 250 pages, 550,000 chars. (w/ spaces) and has 412 footnotes, most of which are Zotero references.

I've also just realized that I can't use Chicago (full-note) anyway b/c surnames are not cited first in the notes. I had been using (note), but my supervisor requested a change. However, since the majority of authors are Japanese, surnames must be cited first.

I suppose I could go back and manually change each entry, but that's literally 100s of edits....

The bibliography does not refresh. (This is another problem, obviously.)
    The document takes a long time.
  • The sorting issue is just a matter of updating the style. For the surnames issue and document performance I can provide a fix, but we should correspond off-list, as both would involve use of MLZ, rather than official Zotero, and some caveats are in order. I'll send you a note.
  • Thank you. I've taken the liberty of emailing you my address so that we can continue this conversation.