Multiple citations in date order

Hello,

I'm trying to develop a custom style for the Entomlogical Society of America's journals.
I've hit a problem with multiple citations. The bibliography should be sorted by author then date eg:

Jones 2008 Title. Journal. vol:pages
Smith 2005 Title. Journal. vol:pages

However, mutiple citations should be sorted by date, then author e.g:

(Smith 2005, Jones 2007)

And I can't work out how to make that happen.

I have the following in the citation part of the style sheet:

<citation>
<option name="et-al-min" value="3"/>
<option name="et-al-use-first" value="1"/>
<option name="et-al-subsequent-min" value="3"/>
<option name="et-al-subsequent-use-first" value="1"/>
<option name="disambiguate-add-year-suffix" value="true"/>
<option name="disambiguate-add-names" value="false"/>
<option name="disambiguate-add-givenname" value="false"/>
<option name="collapse" value="year-suffix"/>
<sort>
<key macro="year-date"/>
<key macro="author-short"/>
</sort>
<layout prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter="; ">
<group delimiter=", ">
<group delimiter=" ">
<text macro="author-short"/>
<text macro="year-date"/>
</group>
<text variable="locator"/>
</group>
</layout>
</citation>

But I still get multiple citations sorted by author. Could someone advise me about what I'm doing wrong here, please?
  • Does nobody have any suggestions on this?

I'd like to make this style available in the repository, once it is working properly.
  • Has this been resolved?
    <sort>
    <key macro="year-date"/>
    <key macro="author-short"/>
    </sort>
    I assume the second key tag supersedes the first one if you would switch them around sorting would be by year-date.

Anyhow, how can sorting be individually specified for citations and bibliography?
  • Anyhow, how can sorting be individually specified for citations and bibliography?
    This actually seems to be nmiller's issue! The sort element is allowed under both the citation element and the bibliography element. To have his bibliography sorted, he'd need the same syntax under bibliography element. You not only can individually specify sorting for citations and the bibliography, but you must.
  • this should work I think - but only with the "keep authors sorted" option checked.

But there are some problems with the sorting that won't be fixed until csl 1.0, due sometime next year.

the <sort> section exists both in the <citation> section and in the <bibliography> section
  • I am trying to figure it out. I normally use the Ecology CSL so I played around with it an couldn't really find a solution. Then on accident I did this:
    <bibliography>
    <option name="hanging-indent" value="true"/>
    <option name="entry-spacing" value="0"/>
    <sort>

<key variable="issued"/>
    </sort>

Which deleted the normal <key macro="author"/> command that is found in sort. When I did this in the chrome it changed all the in text citations to be ordered by date. The problem is that then the biblography is also ordered by date.

Not sure if this is a lead to something or not. I'm still trying to figure it out and will greatly appreciate it when someone smarter than me figures it out!
  • yes, you're right, I just replicated that.
    This looks like a bug to me. This might have been reported and discussed in the past - a little hard to search for, maybe someone remembers?