Bibliography indentation

Hi
I am using RSC formatting, I have pasted my bibliography at the end of the document and it all looks completely fine except after about 7 references they all start becoming indented from the LHS of the page. I have tried manually deleting the indent but when Zotero is refreshed the problem reverts.

Does anyone know how stop these indentations from appearing or if this is only a problem with the RSC citation style?
  • It's not the style - could you explain (or upload a screenshot to a site like imgur.com and link to it here) what "indenting" looks like in this case?
  • edited June 14, 2012
    Unfortunately due to confidentiality I can't show you any of the document but it looks exactly like this:

"
    7. Reference 7 blah blah etc.
    8. Reference 8 blah blah blah blah
    9. Reference 9 blah blah
    10.--------Reference 10 blah blah etc.
    11.--------Reference 11 blah blah blah blah blah blah
    blah blah
    12.--------Reference 12 blah
    13.--------Reference 13 blah
    "
    (i had to use dashes because the forum automatically deletes spaces)
    It only starts at reference 10 and from then on all references are indented.
  • My guess would be that this is because of how tabs have been set up in the word processor ("10." is a bit wider than "9."). Are you using Word?
  • Yes, this is definitely an issue with the way tabs are set for the bibliography style. The bibliography style doesn't currently get updated after the bibliography is inserted, which is what causes this. You should be able to fix it modifying the bibliography style, or by creating a new document, copying the contents of the current document there without the bibliography, and inserting a new bibliography. In the future, I hope to be able to update the bibliography style after bibliography insertion to deal with this case, but I haven't gotten to that yet.
  • To clarify "bibliography style" refers to the Word style as described here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/word_default_font
  • Yes I am using word. Pasting the report into a new document and reinserting the bibliography solved the problem.
    Thank you all so much!
  • I'm experiencing this problem with Office 2011 Mac and Zotero 4.0.26.3. I'm not sure I understand the copy and paste solution noted above? When I copy the body text with references into a new word document all the references (superscripts) disappear so I can't re-add the bibliography.

Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Never mind, I figured it out. You have to copy all the content over to a new document, delete the old bibliography, and then re-add it. Any plans to fix this "bug". Thanks again.
  • Plans yes, as per Simon above, but no progress I'm aware of.
  • Update for anyone like myself facing the same issue: no need to copy the text over to another document. This problem occurs only if the bibliography is added before adding ref #10. Looks like the program determines the the tabs based on the characters in numbering.

Long story short, the solution is to change the citation style to another style (e.g., APA) and revert to the original (e.g., Nature) immediately after the style has changed. The tabs are recalculated during this process.
  • @antanij Thanks, I had the same issue with Zotero 5.0.96.3 and Word for Mac 16.55 (2019). Changing to another style and back fixed the indendation.
  • @antanij This works for me too, changing styles and back fixes it. Thanks!