Mechanics of Synching

Hi there,

I don't have a problem as such, but my organization is starting to use Zotero groups and I'd like to get a better understanding of HOW Zotero syncs files and metadata. Suppose we have two admins who are members of a single group. To start with, each person has precisely the same library. Now Person A deletes an item (let's call it X) from her library and Person B adds an item to his library (let's call it Y). My understanding is that after syncing, each person will have a library that now contains Y but not X. Why does this happen? For example, if Person A deletes item X and syncs, how does Zotero know not simply to add this item back to her library? And if B syncs subsequently, how does Zotero know to remove this item from his library, rather than adding X back into the group library?

This is probably a naive question - but I like to get "under the hood" of things like this.

Thanks!
  • For example, if Person A deletes item X and syncs, how does Zotero know not simply to add this item back to her library? And if B syncs subsequently, how does Zotero know to remove this item from his library, rather than adding X back into the group library?
    Because it syncs item deletions explicitly—it doesn't just compare the local and remote libraries.
  • What do you mean by "explicitly"? Are there syncing rules that execute in a particular order? For example, does Zotero recognize that the deletion happened first and that therefore that changes should be applied to the Group library rather than the individual's library?
  • When you delete an item in Zotero, it adds that deletion to a local log. When you sync, it sends deletions since the last sync up to the server.

If the item was modified on the server since the last sync, then the person would get a conflict.
  • What happens when the next group member syncs? Why does Zotero delete the item from the second person's library rather than adding it back to the group library?

Thank you for all of your prompt responses!
  • Because the server sends the other people deletions since their last syncs.