Standalone is freezing the collections. Error report sent...

Hi,

Standalone is freezing the collections. I mean, if I add or rename a collection, or even drag'n drop a collection into another, Zotero isn't showing any changing in left pane. Also, When add or rename, the box that appears is presenting strange behavior, since when writing the text isn't insert in real time. The same when importing .RDF file. Nothing changes in left pane.

What is strange is when I close Zotero and open it again, the modification was made. I mean, it is possible to modify just one thing by session. After that, even selecting a collection (blue highlighting) isn't possible. Just first move...

I uninstall Zotero including customizations. After I have reinstalled, the same strange behavior still happening.

Zotero error report: 1410596398

Ps.: Firefox version is working normally.

Thanks!
  • edited June 6, 2012
    Actually,there is something strange with Firefox version as well. Zotero error report: 1528815346

I am trying to import two .RDF files, being each one with a plenty of PDFs attached. When importing, none attachments are there. So, Zotero is just importing the item, without the attachments.

I verify each .RDF and the PDFs are there. I myself exported/created these RDF and I have sure the export note + files was marked up. Indeed, I exported two times to have sure that the importation is really with a problem.

This issue of importation without attachment happens both in standalone and firefox plugin.

Help!
  • edited June 6, 2012
    Start new threads for separate issues.
  • edited June 6, 2012
    There are no Zotero errors in that report. Are you sure you're sending in an error report after the problem occurred and before restarting Zotero?
  • Please,
    Consider just the first report=>
    Zotero error report: 1410596398
    Thanks!
  • I did. There are no relevant errors.
  • Ok about erros from report.
    But I am experiencing problems with standalone in relation with collections. I can't do nothing, besides my first movement! I mean, if I select a collection, Zotero is freezing on that. I am unable to choose other collection. Other example is if I create new collection, this collection won't appear until I close Zotero and open it again. If I import, nothing appears, since I restart Zotero as well. Just to try it (create, rename, import) I had to close/open Zotero a plenty of times. In this way, standalone version is useless. Strange is that firefox plugin is working properly. I uninstall standalone and re-install it. Same problem still appearing. If be necessary I could record a videoscreen to show this behavior. Any idea what to try?
  • I understand, and I'm asking you to be sure you followed the error reporting instructions, since a problem like this usually logs an error. Restart Standalone, reproduce the error, and provide another Report ID (before restarting Standalone).
  • Thanks for attention Dan!
    New error report=> 216680668
    I just open standalone, create a sub-collection, which not appeared in this same session. The blue highlighted just freeze on the collection from which I created the sub-collection. After that I generated the error report and send to Zotero.
    After that I just close and re-open Zotero and the new sub-collection was created.I made more tests and I realize I am able to navigate normally, select different collections, open items + attachments without problem. The problem begins when "modifying" something is in action (create, rename, organizing, drag'n drop items or collections, import/export).
    After having exported an single item standalone froze (menus still working, the problem is just with collection pane) and I generated other error report to try make the problem be noticeable=> error report 1342588537.
  • Still nothing there. How about a Debug ID?
  • After more tests, I realize it is just to "right click" in collection pane to froze it. So, correcting what I said before, besides "modifying" actions, just simple "right click" causes the problem.
    I generated by accident two Debug ID:
    D2146027135
    D23487320
    Both related to simple "right click" action.
  • I'm not seeing any issue in there, so I think a video of this would be helpful.
  • Here is the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWAYSdQTakY&feature=youtu.be
    I begin with firefox plugin that is working great.
    After, standalone problems...
  • I just have recovery the computer factory image (restore backup), and I installed Zotero Standalone (including in different folder than the default). Same problem still happening...
    Any idea about what to do?
    Thanks!
  • Hi. I tried to install Standalone in other folders, run as admin, and so on. The problem, as showed in the video, still happening. Could someone provide former Standalone release (other than Zotero-3.0.7_setup)?
    I intend to proceed with more tests, since I have a huge library and Standalone provides better performance on handle that. Maybe former release could run properly...
    Thanks!
  • This is pretty weird. Does this happen even if Zotero for Firefox is closed (which shouldn't matter)?

Here's 3.0.3:

Installer: http://download.zotero.org/standalone/3.0.3/Zotero-3.0.3_setup.exe

ZIP: http://download.zotero.org/standalone/3.0.3/Zotero-3.0.3_win32.zip

You might want to just extract the ZIP to a directory and try running from there instead of running the installer, since I'm guessing this will still happen in 3.0.3. Let us know either way.
  • Thanks for the link.
    Unfortunately the problem still appearing even in former version.
    I proceeded with a test I had forgotten => execute Zotero standalone in Windows Safe Mode (in a Win 64-bit version). After that Zotero worked. So, the problem really isn't related with Zotero. Does anyone have idea what kind of file/program could interfere/cause trouble to Zotero?
  • it's a wild guess, but Zone Alarm?
    In the past it has mainly interfered with Word integration, but what exactly happened was always a bit mysterious.
    Also, since it's display related - some fancy display thing? I'd try if disabling the Aero theme makes a difference - again, so far that's only been reported to interfere with Word integration, but who knows...
  • Zotero standalone is working now :)

I figured out the problem was related to the service "AMD External Events Utility". After disable it Zotero began to work great.
    It seems there isn't any problem on disable this service:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/209193-amd-services-startup.html

To make the trials and isolate the problem I used clean boot procedure=> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135