first name shortcut

Hey,
my zotero-library is full of these to different first name styles:
full first name in some informations about papers like Mitchell or Charles and the shortcuts of first names like M. or F. in other informations about other papers. If I organize a bibliography in Word there are both styles, instead of one style! I want Zotero to shortcut the firstnames no matter what the information in the library says. Like this: Darwin, Ch. 1855.....
Humboldt, A. 1870....
But not Darwin, Ch..... and Humboldt, Alexander in the same document.
  • What style do you use?
  • It seems not to be a question of style, but a question of what I noted in the informations about the article or is there a style that only uses shortcuts (and how does this style handle shortcuts in the library-informations). How should I handle the first name information in the library in general? I tried all default-styles of first zotero installation 3.0.7 (is about 15)
  • Initialization of given names is handled by the style you choose.
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#name :
    initialize-with
    If this attribute is set, given names are converted to initials. The attribute value specifies the suffix that is included after each initial ("." results in "J.J. Doe").
    But if a style does not use initials, it will display exactly what is in your zotero field.
  • Thanks a lot, Gracile!!! So there is no matter if I shortcut the first name in the library (asking for experiences)? Do you know a style that shortcuts? I am not able to program it on my own...
  • You should not initialize them directly in your library: keep your metadata as complete as possible.
    Many styles use initials. Try APA, Elsevier, IEEE, Nature, Vancouver...
  • That was helpful! Thanks!