LNCS Word template and Zotero - BAD combination

I've been a happy user of Word and Zotero. I write LNCS documents, using LNCS Zotero citations.

Then, I just tried moving to the official LNCS Template, ftp://ftp.springer.de/pub/tex/latex/llncs/word/splnproc1110.zip, in Word 2010, still using Zotero for citations. (Of course I did it part way through a document with a deadline. When else would I do it? And who starts docs from scratch anyway?)

For a little bit it appears to be working fine. Then, I'll add 1 more citation, or ask Zotero to refresh the bibliography - and it will throw away the LNCS template formatting. I can "undo" back to prior to the reformatting, but then I can never update the bibliography again. I also can't add new citations without it reformatting the whole document. If I look at the "undo" list in MS Word, it shows masses and masses of VBA-Field Updates.

Oh yeah - I cut 'n pasted existing text into the LNCS template, including the existing Zotero citations. I have a long document with a very large number of citations, and redoing them all by hand will take me forever.

Please help! I am the only one to have run into this?