zotero does not transfer references

Hey,
seems not to be a very severe problem, but I searched for hours and couldn't find an answer: If I find references in the web (for examaple via google scholar), it appears the sign (the yellow file folder symbol) in the adressline - so far so good. But if I click on that symbol an select some references and confrim zotero to transfer those - nothing happens to my library. There aren't new references listed... What's wrong with my settings? (I have the 3.0.3 version, using windows 7 with the newest firefox-version)
  • You should upgrade Zotero to 3.0.7 (though that won't make a difference).
    Could you please post an example URL that's not working?

+ http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs
  • Hey,
    you are right: On some webpages it works. But espacially on those I really need, it doesn't! For example: http://scholar.google.de/scholar?hl=de&q=megaherbivores+hypthesis&btnG=&lr=
    Joining the zotero file folder symbol in the URL opens the window where I can select the references to be transfered to my library. for example I select "Megaherbivores as pacemakers of carnivore diversity and biomass: distributing or sinking trophic energy?" - the first one - and left-clicking on "OK" opens a red-bordered small and grey window with no massage in the downer-right corner... And there is no reference transfered to my library...
  • That seems to work for me. Make sure you have the latest translators installed (http://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues point #5). Also I would follow Gracile's suggestion about updating Zotero (but that shouldn't matter in this case).

If it still does not work, produce a Debug ID for what you are describing and post it here.
  • Hey!
    Thanks for your first help! Now I installed the latest version 3.0.7, also the translator is updated, but there is still no library-transfer...
    This Debug ID is D1235796962. I hope it works and I am really grateful for your help (no chance for me to solve this problem).
  • @Dan or Simon, is there something to go off of in that debug report?
    Debug ID is D1235796962
  • It looks like the BibTeX translator is getting called on

http://scholar.google.de/scholar.bib?q=info:e1PARHzDeN4J:scholar.google.com/&hl=de&as_sdt=0,5&ct=citation&cd=1&output=citation

but it's not giving an error or returning any items. I think it might do this if the page doesn't contain any BibTeX.
  • Thanks. I've seen Google complain this way before. It might happen if the cookie is not set correctly. The translator should report what it's setting the cookie to. Could you post that message?
  • The cookie looked right.

@nicolasfabian
    Could you do a couple things to help troubleshoot this?

1) After going to http://scholar.google.de/scholar?hl=de&q=megaherbivores+hypthesis&btnG=&lr= how many links do you see under the first entry? There should be somewhere around four (e.g. Zitiert durch, Ähnliche Artikel, Im Cache, Alle X Versionen).

2) From the page above, go to the settings by clicking on the gear icon (top, right of page). At the bottom of the settings page, there is an option that reads "Links zum Importieren von Literaturverweisen in XXXXXX anzeigen." and it gives you a selection box. Select this option and from the selection box choose BibTeX. Hit "Speichern", which will take you back to the results page. If you did not see it before, you should now see an additional link under the items that says "In BibTeX importieren." Click that link.

If it opens up a plain text file that looks like @article{hummel2008megaherbivores,
    title={Megaherbivores as pacemakers of carnivore diversity and biomass: distributing or sinking trophic energy?},
    author={Hummel, J. and Clauss, M.},
    journal={Evol. Ecol. Res},
    volume={10},
    number={6},
    pages={925--930},
    year={2008}
    }
    then there is something messed up with the Zotero translator. In that case, please redo the Debug ID with the "BibTeX" option selected in the Google Scholar settings.

If the page that opens reads something like "403. That’s an error..." then the problem might be with your cookies. Make sure you are not blocking cookies.
  • Hey,

wow, your are fit in those stuff! So it works more or less! There have been four links before. So I first checked if BibTex is choosen, and it wasn't. But there was another problem: I couldn't activate this option you told me, although cookies were activated. I handled something in the settings of Firefox (without really knowing what I do): I choosed the option that clears cookies after the firefox-shutdown. I also cleared the cookies that have already been installed. As a follow of this, I was able to choose the BibTex-option. Now there are five links below the articles in google scholar. If I choose the BibTex-link I get the plain text file you had foretold, but the article is now in my library if I click the zotero-save-option. Here is the debug ID with activated BibTex: D40779606.
  • Zotero now works also without choosing the Bibtex-option...
    Thanks a lot for your help!!!