New record category: "Web article"

It would be useful to have a new category for bibliographic records, "Web article." This category would apply to articles on the sites of established outlets (for example, the New Your Times and Salon.com), but also miscellaneous articles on other sites. Two that I've recently had occasion to use and wished to store in Zotero are:

http://www.climatechangecapital.com/news-and-events/ccc-in-the-news/re-imagining-21st-century-climate-institutions.aspx

http://www.hfw.com/publications/client-briefings/the-unfcccs-durban-platform-explained

None of the other categories have fields exactly suited to this type of record. Candidates are: Blog post, Web page, and various types of article records that pertain to print.

Thank you for considering this addition.
  • that's likely not going to happen. A "web article" is simply a magazine/journal/newspaper article without page numbers and with a URL. There is no need for a separate category.
  • edited May 22, 2012
    Perhaps you are right with regard to magazine, journal, and newspaper articles. But there are many others that don't fit into the "blog post," or "web page" categories, and are not published as part of a magazine, journal, or newspaper. I give two examples in my original post. These simply do not fit in any of the current categories.(I know this, because I have tried; obviously, one fits them in somehow, but the fit isn't very good.)
  • I think those are webpages - how would you want to cite them? Which categories do you think are missing?
  • Missing:

-Institution (One might argue that "Website title" serves this purpose, but Website title and the institutional locus of the article are not always identical.)
    -Place (location of institution)
    -Series title

Essentially--everything that's in "Report," but with a different category title to reflect it being an article on a web site.
  • same idea - if it's a report, use the report item type and include a URL.
  • Are you a member of the Zotero category police squad? It's a suggestion.
  • I'm sufficiently involved in Zotero to know that this isn't going to happen, so I'm telling you how to get the same result using existing features as they are intended.
  • edited May 22, 2012
    Are you a member of the Zotero category police squad? It's a suggestion.
    He is: http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/1017/badgej.png

That said, what's wrong with the (free) support adamsmith has been giving you?
  • Having read both the request AND the kind responses, I still think the requester has a point. There is a category of articles published on the web that cannot fit in either of the suggested categories that adamsmith has proposed - web site, magazine journal newspaper article, or report. rstowe gives some good examples.

We might have to live with this for reasons beyond my knowledge, but to deny that there is a poor fit for those kinds of articles is disingenuous.
  • We might have to live with this for reasons beyond my knowledge
    Read ajlyon's post here, especially the 4th paragraph.