Not able to take a snapshot

Report 1D: 1286497979

Hello,

I am trying to take a snapshot of the Rio+20 Messages of the World: http://www.uncsd2012.org/rio20/index.php?menu=117. I have attempted to take a snapshot of this page several times before; however, once the snapshot is taken none of the comments show up. I really need to be able to preserve records of the comments that are being made.

I have my Zotero preferences set to automatically take snapshots when creating items from web pages. Is there anything else that I should be doing in order to make the snapshot of this comment page more successful?

Thanks,
Kameela A.
  • I can confirm that there is some sort of problem saving a snapshot of that page. When I try (in FF 12 on Mac OS 10.6.8) to save a snapshot, this is the result

-- an item with a snapshot icon appears in my Library
    -- the "rainbow wheel" spins on my Macbook while Zotero is working on the snapshot
    -- Firefox then puts up a modal alert that says:
    "Warning: Unresponsive script
    A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.
    Script: resource:///components/nsPrompter.js:466"
    (buttons: Stop script | Continue)

regardless of which button is selected the result is:
    -- only a link to the page, not a snapshot, is saved
    -- the item's icon has changed to a link icon, not snapshot icon

WORKAROUND:

I am not a programmer so i have no idea what the problem is, nor whether it lies in the construction of the web page, in Zotero, or simply in some sort of expected incompatibility between the two. Meanwhile, I was curious to see if Evernote could take a snapshot and it could ...

Evernote* does successfully take a full-page snapshot at that URL. You can then right-click on the item created in your Evernote inbox and export the note as html. Ignore the "Resources" folder which contains only some navigational buttons from the web page -- import the html document into Zotero.

Clunky workaround, to be sure, but if you must preserve the page as html (as opposed to simply taking a screenshot) this will work.

* Evernote accounts and the application [Mac or Windows only, plus mobile apps] are free at evernote.com, and install the plug-in for Firefox. This is not meant in any way to promote Evernote over Zotero ... Evernote is simply not a robust research tool (though it does have its own advantages and I enjoy it for personal scrapbooking)