Error Report 1673850918 Firefox 7.01 fails to sync

There were storage issues initially but now it's just a case of 'aint workin'.
  • upgrade Firefox for a start.
  • edited May 11, 2012
    Thanks adamsmith - did that, now on 12, got 553847476 instead. I should add that I am on a University workstation so funny things have been done to the innerds of it. Perhaps I should go 'standalone'
  • what is the error message you're getting over the sync button?
  • Also upgrade to Zotero 3.0.7. You're still on 3.0.3.
  • Thanks Dan - I'm on 3.0.7 now... new error report ref: 709714288
  • actually I think it's just one or two things that are giving problems.... I have been able to use Zotero to add an item (journal article via the icon in the address bar) and that item shows up in my online library. The exclamation mark still haunts me from the left of the 'sync' circle/arrow along the top right of the Zotero pane.
    The error that pops up looks like this:
    The file 'EINTUK37/png-base64,ivborw0kggoaaaansuheugaaaaoaaaakcayaaacnms+9aaaagxrfwhrtb2z0d2fyzqbbzg9izsbjbwfnzvjlywr5ccllpaaaabtjrefuenpizgbgagagajaxealgfvjhiucaaqdcngcugqgmqwaaaabjru5erkjggg==' could not be created in the Zotero 'storage' directory.

and the (new) error report relating to that is # 1543271750
    :-)
  • that's usually because Windows has a character limit on filenames. Dan has/had a fix for that, but I'm not sure where that is wrt implementation. One way to get around this is to move your Zotero folder to a location with a shorter filepath (i.e. out of the mozilla profile and somewhere like directly on C://

(advanced tab of the Zotero preferences - note that you'll have to manually move the content of the folder, the preferences only tell Zotero where to look.)
  • I'm not able to reproduce this on Windows XP with the same filename. Do you have your Zotero data directory in the default location, or have you moved it?

(Technical note: That filename shouldn't actually exist, since it looks like it's a data: URI that was incorrectly saved as a file, but that's a separate issue.)