Is worth store Zotero using services as Amazon S3, Google Storage or Microsoft Azure?

Hi,

Is worth storing Zotero using web services as Amazon S3, Google Storage and Microsoft Azure? May anyone comment their experiences?

Thanks!
  • what exactly do you want to store there?
    But generally, the answer is no: You want something more sophisticated than those options, which just provide you with a server. E.g. Zotero Storage runs Amazon S3.
  • Actually, I was thinking on using the service provided by Zotero. But I am also intending to store ALL my personal/working data into "just one" internet storage service (until now I use only "external hard drive" as backup solution). Anyway, considering don't use Zotero own service, and to use something as Amazon S3, is it possible to access complete Zotero "My Library" (i.e. items, attachments etc. in the same way Zotero service provides)?
  • None of these services are designed as cloud-storage for end-users (for that the typical solutions are dropbox et al.), but rather as server backends for developers, so saying that you want to use "S3" is about as meaningful as saying "I want to use a server-based solution".

In general, simply syncing the Zotero database with any cloud-service (such as dropbox) is risky, because unsophisticated syncing of zotero.sqlite has a very good chance of corrupting the database. To say anything more, you would need to provide the technical details of what you're planning to do.
  • I could realize that Zotero WebDAV option insert automatically at the end of web address a "fixed" folder /zotero/ . For instance, this is an address from a cloud-service I am trying:

https://webdav1.storegate.com/[user]

So, Zotero will insert=> https://webdav1.storegate.com/[user]/zotero/

I would appreciate explanation about two issues:

a) I use 2 Zotero database which I exchange through changing data directory (Zotero preferences). Considering Zotero inserts the fixed /zotero/ , it seems impossible to sync my 2 database separately. I mean, I would like that the two bases don't blend/mix each other.

b) It seems "My Library" content (including attached files) can be accessed (from Zotero.org) just using the own Zotero storage/syncing service, isn't it? I mean, using any cloud-service (besides Zotero own storage service) will just provide a simple backup from Zotero database. In this way, the WebDAV Zotero syncing using any cloud-service will be the same that a backup using the cloud-service backup application. Am I right?

Thanks in advance!
  • edited May 10, 2012
    a) you will need two separate Zotero accounts for that, but then it should work, but it's very high maintenance and every time you forget to change your username when changing the data directory you run a risk of mixing them up: Having separate libraries is not recommended for that reason. Use groups and/or collections.

b) No, some other cloud storage is not the same as WebDAV. with WebDAV, you still use Zotero's servers to sync your data, just not the attached files. That means you have the protection against data corruption built into Zotero sync. Using any cloud back-up you don't.
    There are some more complicated differences that are less likely to affect you, but that's the main one.
  • a) About using two separate library is because each one is getting bigger and bigger. On average, each of my library has:
    zotero.sqlite = 200 MB
    storage (file)= 8 GB
    items (collapsed)= 2500
    items (expanded)= 5000
    collections = a huge number (collection, inside collection, inside so on...)
    If I join my two libraries, these numbers will approximately double. I will have almost 10,000 items (expanded) and 15 GB storage. So, I am afraid about Zotero "limits" to handle everything together. Besides, these libraries tends to continue growing (not in this large proportion, but they will).
    Do you think it is safe join the libraries?

b) I am tending to use Zotero service + other cloud storage to backup other data (at first I was thinking on join everything in just one service). Anyway, I will proceed with a test using a cloud service (storegate.com) that provides WebDAV. If I understood you, in [ Preference => Sync ] I need to set [ Zotero Sync Server ] + [File Syncing = using WebDav], isn't it? I mean, if I set just [File Syncing = using WebDav] without set [ Zotero Sync Server ] it won't work, isn't it?

c) You mentioned about using WebDAV that it "is risky, because unsophisticated syncing of zotero.sqlite has a very good chance of corrupting the database". What I will say seems obvious, but this corruption is related just the zotero.sqlite storage in the web. I mean, will my local zotero.sqlite remain incorruptible? Or is there any chance of the WebDAV process affect the local zotero.sqlite?

d) Considering some possible of corruption, is it possible to recovery zotero.sqlite?

Many thanks for explanations!
  • a) I'd think so - that would by far not be the biggest library people have in Zotero - 20k items isn't unusual.
    b) correct
    c) That's not for using WebDAV - using WebDAV as described by you in b) is safe. That phrase refers to using third party syncing for your entire Zotero folder, including the .sqlite.
    The issue really only comes up when you use this for syncing rather than back-up, i.e. if you're using your database on more than one computer. Else (i.e. talking about back-up only) none of this apply. You can't corrupt your database by simply backing it up - no matter whether that back-up is to a local external harddisk or to the cloud.

d) That depends - the reason we warn strongly against doing things that risk corruption is that it may not always be possible, though more often than not it is.
  • Thank you very much!