Always showing Archive in Chicago - Full Note

I am citing a manuscript from an archive using Zotero 3.0 in Word 2007. When I insert my citation in Chicago (full note), first citation for the manuscript includes the archive information. See the following example:
Sir Stanley V. Goodall, “Report No. 200, ‘Capital Ships’, DNC Reports Vol. 54, March - July 1939”, June 24, 1939, 127, ADM 229/21, National Archives of the UK.

Subsequent citations appear as follows:
Goodall, “Report No. 200, ‘Capital Ships’, DNC Reports Vol. 54, March - July 1939,” 131.

I'd prefer that either a full or abbreviated form of the Archive field appear in all citations of a manuscript and Chicago suggests this practice.
Is that possible?
  • It's certainly possible, but adjusting the CMoS style always is a bti time consuming - so if I'm going to do that, it's only going to be for the style on the repository, not for a personal customized copy.

Where (which chapter/section) does CMoS suggest that practice?
  • In the 15th version chapter 17, section 230 the printed version gives three examples of subsequent citations of archival material. In each example there is some short reference to the manuscript collection/archive. Here's the examples given:

51. R.S. Baker to House, 1 November 1919, House Papers
    52. Thomas Causton to his wife, 12 March 1733, Egmont MSS, 14200:53
    53. Minutes, 15 April 1795, Pennsylvania Society

It's on page 712 of the 15th printed version.
  • OK - I'll take a look - we're using 16th edition for the style on the repo but I'd be surprised if they changed that type of thing.
  • I realise this is an old thread, but I was wondering if there were any updates? I am having a similar problem to Corbin31. I am using Chicago 16th Full Note and I am also under the impression that my abbreviated archive references ought to have a shortened form of the Archive name. My examples are:

Franklin D. Roosevelt to Winston Churchill, October 11, 1941, PREM 3/139/8A, National Archive of the UK.

Appears abbreviated as:
    Roosevelt to Churchill, October 11, 1941.

The National Archives themselves would prefer you to continue to use their reference: i.e. PREM 3/139/8A as well as adding TNA, so this abbreviated reference would look like this:

Roosevelt to Churchill, October 11, 1941, PREM 3/139/8A, TNA.

For this entry I used the "Letter" type and put used the Archive and Loc in Archive fields for The National Archives of the UK and PREM 3/139/8A.

Any updates much appreciated
  • Apologies, I realise I have conflated two slightly different issues in the request above.

One issue is the same as Corbin31 - keeping the 'Archive' field visible in the abbreviated reference. I expect hoping for it to be not only visible but also abbreviated itself (i.e. from The National Archives to TNA) may be too complicated and may not match the CMoS Corbin31 quotes. (This is a small concern - I can fill in Archive as TNA and include the full name only once at the start manually).

The second issue is keeping the 'Loc in Archive' visible, and this perhaps may not match the CMoS Corbin31 quotes. I'm guessing this would have to be my own alteration to the style, necessary in order to safely conform to TNA's guidelines. This is important for me because the individual letters/documents (i.e. Roosevelt to Churchill, 11 October, 1941) do not get an individual bibliographic entry, only PREM 3/139/8A gets that. So if you found just the abbreviated footnote you would not be able to find it in the bibliography without first finding the original citation.

Thanks again and sorry for the extra post.