false reference is loaded

Hello
when I try to download the following reference from a blog, it is another reference that comes.
http://affordance.typepad.com/mon_weblog/2012/05/science-20-renouveau-recherche-echange-scientifique.html
Gives : boyd danah, Crawford K., 2011, Six Provocations for Big Data, SSRN Electronic Journal, 2011

Apparently because zotero has seen a doi in a footnote. But that's troubling and how can one download the right notice. Is it compulsoru to do it manually?
  • Yes, you'll have to do that manually, i.e. using
    right-click anywhere on the page ---> Zotero-->Create New Item from Current Page (Zotero for FF)
    or
    right-click anywhere on the page ---> Zotero Snapshot from Current Page (Chrome and Safari connectors)

Currently only blogspot blogs are supported via translators.
  • When evaluating the address bar icon on a given page, it's helpful to keep in mind the kind of site you're saving from. That site is just a generic blog, and since there's not really much useful metadata to save, there's a decent chance that there's no Zotero translator for it, which happens to be the case. Knowing that, combined with hovering over the address bar icon (which shows that Zotero is using the DOI translator), you can know to just use Create New Item from Current Page as you would with any standard webpage for which the address bar icon doesn't appear.

Really you were just unlucky here, though, since there happened to be only one DOI on the page. Normally for a reference list you'd get the folder icon, which would present a list of the detected references for you to choose from. (This is the case, for example, on Wikipedia, where Zotero can't currently save any metadata for the page itself.)
  • thanks. My wordpress blog is well supported by zotero. Why does zotero interpret that blog as being another reference? Is it linked to the doi? What would have happened if two doi had been there?
  • PS : my blog is http://rumor.hypotheses.org/
  • We could consider forcing the folder icon (and subsequent prompt) for the generic translators in some cases even when there's only one on the page. This would allow people to confirm that it's saving the right reference. I don't think we want to never do a single-item save for DOIs, since on some pages, including some journal sites, the DOI translator is all that's necessary, but there might be some rules we could follow, such as the relative position on the page. I would expect a relevant DOI to be fairly high up on the page.
  • I'd note, though, that the address bar icon was also a clue here. Clearly this isn't a journal article, and it wouldn't be recognized as such if there were a valid translator.