From Word is it possible to insert a "table of authorities" based on Zotero's citation fields?

Hi,

I am looking for a way to insert a "table of authorities" based on Zotero's citation fields, automatically.

It seems that there isn't any connection between Word 2010 feature "table of authorities" and Zotero plugin and inserted citations.

Does anyone know ways to deal with?

Thanks in advance,
Cadu
  • Isn't a table of authorities just a list of references? If so, use the Zotero insert bibliography function. If not, please explain in more detail what you're trying to do (and you're right, there is absolutely no connection between the Word feature and the Zotero plugin).
  • It is common the find "table of authorities" at the end of books and it is different from the "bibliography / reference" list.

Consider the authors Scott (2000, 2002) and Macthur (1999, 2002) were cited a plenty of times along the text.

The "table of authorities" will show (in alphabetical order) the authors and the page in which they were cited:

Macthur
    (1999)....................9, 17
    (2002)....................6, 9

Scott
    (2000)....................3, 6, 9, 17
    (2002)....................7, 9, 16
  • That can't be done with Zotero.
    It's probably possible to write something that creates a table like that from Zotero citations, but I'd guess that would have to be a separate plug-in.
    Since this looks like it's mainly a legal thing (at least in the English speaking world) maybe Frank is interested?
  • What you have there is essentially an index. Zotero and CSL are not designed for that, and it's not in the roadmap.

If it were me, and if it were a large project, I would probably prepare the document in reStructuredText, use zotero-plain for referencing, and generate the output as LaTeX. If the zotero-plain citation code were extended slightly, you could then drop indexing keys into the output, and use a LaTeX indexing engine (texindy seems to be the tool of choice these days) to produce the table. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but at present that would be the least-painful path to producing output in that form automatically.
  • edited April 29, 2012
    @cadudesun: AFAIK it's something (aka index) that you can do with your word processor.
    Edit: oops, missed Frank's message.
  • edited April 29, 2012
    Wow!Thanks for tips. I will try it using Word at first.
    Overall Zotero is a really impressive citation manager!
    But IMO it lacks in being friendly when dealing with style and outputs related with.
    Also, I miss easy ways to extract reports in general.
  • As fbennett says, This function is in-effect an index but if the style isn't author-date, unless I am mistaken, the average word processor cannot produce an authority table. Other than obtaining and learning a completely different authoring system (reStructuredText / LaTeX) is there some other approach that could work when using a numbered style such as Vancouver?
  • Bellow follows the content of a Zotero field in Word. I will try to develop a "macro" which relates it with the "table of authorities" creation.

Through Microsoft forum I could find a way to deal with similar issue (but I have not tried it yet)=>
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-customize/is-it-possible-to-implement-a-macro-to-count-the/15096372-1e1b-49be-abf4-6119f122a7ed

Anyway, in the same way Zotero provides "insert bibliography" into Word, is there any chance (considering future releases) of Zotero provide "insert table of authorities"? It could be a great feature to make available for users. And the information to make it possible seems to be already available in the Zotero field...

---------------------------------------------------
    {ADDIN ZOTERO_ITEM CSL_CITATION {"citationID":"2dfah1hdjp","properties":{"formattedCitation":"(MEYER, R. E., 2008, p. 525)","plainCitation":"(MEYER, R. E., 2008, p. 525)"},"citationItems":[{"id":4142,"uris":["http://zotero.org/users/767537/items/X6B7QBKG"],"uri":["http://zotero.org/users/767537/items/X6B7QBKG"],"itemData":{"id":4142,"type":"chapter","title":"New Sociology of Knowledge: Historical Legacy and Contributions to Current Debates in Institutional Research","container-title":"The SAGE Handbook of Organizational Institutionalism","publisher":"Sage","publisher-place":"Thousand Oaks","page":"519-538","event-place":"Thousand Oaks","shortTitle":"New Sociology of Knowledge: Historical Legacy and Contributions to Current Debates in Institutional Research","editor":[{"family":"Greenwood","given":"R."},{"family":"Oliver","given":"C."},{"family":"Sahlin","given":"K."},{"family":"Suddaby","given":"R."}],"author":[{"family":"Meyer","given":"Renate E."}],"issued":{"year":2008}},"locator":"525"}],"schema":"https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/raw/master/csl-citation.json"}}
  • If you write the macro, you'd hopefully make it available? That would seem perfectly sufficient for something that really isn't all that common as a requirement.
  • In front of the plenty of issues I have learned with Zotero community, to make it available will be a simple retribution!
    Anyway, it should take sometime yet. As soon as I achieve or "not" this purpose, I will post the issue here.