Changing the title of a pdf attachment

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I am just having some trouble renaming some pdf attachments. When you attach a pdf into Zotero from an email, the title of the pdf shows up as "attachment.pdf"; however, for many of the pdf attachments I have been able to change the title. Some of the pdf attachments are being finicky and are not allowing me to change that title, instead I get a message saying that "an error occurred while renaming". Is there any reason why this may be happening? I am doing the same process for all of them so I would think that they all would work...
  • Hello Dan,

"Report errors" is not selectable on my Zotero. I am using Zotero version 3.0 and Firefox 3.6.18.
  • First, upgrade Firefox - you should be using at least Firefox 3.6.28 and since support for Firefox 3.6.x has just run out you should switch to FF 12 asap.
    Also, you should be using Zotero 3.0.3 if you're not already.

We can't support FF versions that have been outdated for a year or so, but also you're exposing yourself to significant risk by using an outdated browser version.
  • Thank you Adam! I have updated both FF and Zotero; I am working as a student research assistant so I was given a computer to use that did not have the updated version of FF.
  • still experiencing the same issue, though?
    If so, it is highly unlikely that you wouldn't be able to send an error report right after triggering the rename error, are you sure you have tried that?
  • Hello Adam,

It seems to be working OK right now. If anything changes than I will send in an error report.

Thanks for your help,
    Kameela.
  • Report 1D: 1803346055

Hello,

Last time I had a problem renaming some pdf attachments. I have upgraded both Zotero and FF; however I am finding that the some of the pdf attachments are being finicky and are not allowing me to change the title, instead I get a message saying that "an error occurred while renaming". What should I do?
  • (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED) [nsIFile.moveTo]" nsresult: "0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/item.js :: :: line 2762" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/item.js" line: 2779}]
    Do you have the files open when you're trying to rename them? If so, close them first.
  • Are the files locked, read-only, or otherwise secured by your operating system?
  • They were scanned documents sent as email attachments so they were read-only files--the problem I was having was a result of having the files open while I was trying to rename them.