Firefox, which version...?

I am beginning to receive automatic messages from Firefox to the effect that I should upgrade to a newer version. I am running with Ver. 3.6.23 at the moment. However, I also read on the various Zotero Forums that some versions--or is it version--of Firefox pose problems for Zotero. So my question is: Which version of Firefox is least problematical for Zotero? To date, I have had very few problems with the version of Firefox I am using, and I don't want to endanger my setup, which works very well. I am running Firefox on Windows XP Professional.

In advance, thank you for your comments.

M. W. Poirier
  • Zotero usually works best with the latest stable Firefox release, currently that is Firefox 11.
    Every effort is made so that it stays that way - if you want to be on the safe side, you can wait a week or two after each new FF version release (they're currently on a 3 month release cycle I think), but as I recall there has never been an issue for people using up to date stable versions.

Even if you want to wait a bit longer, you should update to 3.6.28, the latest release in the 3.6 line - but as Firefox has just ended support for that, too, it will get increasingly insecure and I'd recommend moving to an up to date version asap.
  • Thanks for the advice. It appears that Firefox 11 is no longer available, or, it it is, then I was not able to find it. So I downloaded Firefox 12. I'll report if something goes off track. Again, Thanks. MWP
  • yes, as I say, use the most up to date version - I'm on a slightly delayed release cycle for Firefox so I haven't gotten the update for 12 yet.
  • We did a few tests of FF 12 with Zotero on a Mac. All the basics work fine (importing from publisher sites, exporting records in MODS format, inserting citations into a Libre Office document). As far as the needs of my office Zotero-in-Firefox works satisfactorily. I haven't assessed if the stand-alone gives any problems with the connection to FF12.
  • I use Zotero with Firefox and Word (for Mac). A while ago I tried to update Firefox, but it seemed that the add-on for Zotero - Word integration no longer worked so I went back. Can I now update to Firefox 12?
  • edited May 24, 2012
    Yes. Make sure that you've the latest version of the word plugin after upgrading firefox.