Small add on, great improvement

Hello,

You guys are doing very good job with Zotero, but there could be a small add on, which I think would improve usage of program a lot.

I really miss descriptions next to icons and is annoying to hover over each icon every time to see what it does. Not all of people are visual types ;). There is a reason why pretty much all programs use descriptions next to icons (excel, word...). Unless there is such an option already and I am being a noob. Also, as you use famfam slick icons, which are implemented in many other applications, those icons mean different things in different applications, which is another annoying thing. For example icon for new collection in different program means new folder.

Here is visual of improved UI (first 2 icons).

http://shrani.si/f/2b/TY/AM6QwLp/suggestion.jpg
  • The problem with this is that if you add descriptions to the icons, they will no longer fit in the toolbar.

Also, In my experience, not all software do not show descriptions for icons. Take for example the icons in Firefox toolbar.
  • Sorry but I have to disagree with this. FF icons are not used often and are custom made which make them more recognizable and in addition there are only few. I personally for example don't use them at all, except reload and search.

Most programs with big work load have descriptions because with plenty information on screen, mini icons doesn't do its job. Best example would be excel. Can you imagine working with it without descriptions next to icons?

All that being said, it was of course just a suggestion. I can see however simple solution to fitting problem: there can be just on/off button.
  • edited April 22, 2012
    Most programs with big work load have descriptions because with plenty information on screen, mini icons doesn't do its job. Best example would be excel. Can you imagine working with it without descriptions next to icons?
    Yes I can. The toolbars for Excel for Mac do not have descriptive texts for icons. (Ribbons have some text, but only for a subset of options)
    All that being said, it was of course just a suggestion. I can see however simple solution to fitting problem: there can be just on/off button.
    This would be possible, but still problematic. If they were on by default, they would not fit on a typical laptop screen (e.i. 1280 pixels wide). If they were off, I doubt that the people who would benefit from these most would find the icons.