[Solved]HELP=> Even after reading other threads=> Zotero experienced an error updating your document

At the end, the problem was related with open the Word document from Explorer (actually, a third-party file manager - XYplorer) when it was set to "run as administrator" in properties/shortcut/advanced. After uncheck it, everything came back to normal. Thanks everybody for support!
Bellow the problem history...

-------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Even after reading other threads in this forum I have tried by myself solve a Word 2010 Plugin problem, without any success:
Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

[zoteroWinWordIntegration Exception... "Could not find a running Word instance." code: "0" function: "zoteroWinWordDocument::initFromActiveObject" location: ".\zoteroWinWordDocument.cpp"]
I tried (didn't work):

- Uninstall and reinstall Zotero and Word plugin a plenty of times.
- Set preferences=>cite=>use classic...

When creating a document from "zero", Zotero works properly.

Does anyone know any way about dealing with the issue?

Thanks in advance,
Cadu
  • edited April 21, 2012
    Updating information:

When a document is created in "blank" Zotero works.

When a document is created in "blank" and I paste the content of the other document and save it, Zotero doesn't work anymore.

I mean, even trying rebuild the doc from "zero" using the old content, the problem still appearing.

Along 4 months Zotero plugin worked great! Suddenly, in same computer, same Word 2010, same document, the problem have appeared.

I think I am living the same problem related here:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/21269/word-2010-zotero-plugin-stopped-cooperating-with-ff/
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/16287/
  • 1) Provide a Report ID.

2) Try the Debugging Broken Documents steps. (That is, instead of copying all the content from the old document, copy halves at a time to isolate the problem.)
  • Thanks for a hope Dan!

Follows the ID reports from Firefox and Standalone:

-----------------------------------------------------

Report ID (from Firefox): 711498019

[JavaScript Error: "Image corrupt or truncated: <unknown>" {file: "<unknown>" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "Could not find a running Word instance." {file: ".\zoteroWinWordDocument.cpp" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "Image corrupt or truncated: <unknown>" {file: "<unknown>" line: 0}]

-----------------------------------------------------

Report ID (from Standalone): 912452113

Failed to load native module at path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero Standalone\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\components-9.0\zoteroWinWordIntegration.dll': (80520012) <unknown; can't get error from NSPR>

Failed to load native module at path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero Standalone\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\components-8.0\zoteroWinWordIntegration.dll': (80520012) <unknown; can't get error from NSPR>

Direct3D 9 DeviceManager Initialized Succesfully.
    Driver: aticfx32.dll
    Description: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Version: 8.17.10.1072
  • edited April 20, 2012
    Updating information:

I tried the "Debugging Broken Documents steps".

What happened was strange. My steps:

1- I created an blank document, and Zotero was working.
    2- I was copying and pasting chapter by chapter, making tests along all process. Zotero was working.
    3- Almost at the end of the document, I tried to insert a citation and the citation wasn't appearing at canvas. I tried a couple of times, and nothing was happening (none erros, but none citations being included too!).
    4- When I realized, the citations were inserted into the "corrupted" document, from which I was copying the content. The strange is that when I was trying to insert the citation into the new one, the citations were appearing into the old one (besides, this document wasn't working and by change the error disappeared for a while). I have sure that the new document was selected, including the cursor mark appearing at the canvas. But the citations appeared in other document.
    5- After that, I close both documents.
    6- I opened just the new and from this moment the error begins to appear in this new document as well (and the old came back to show the error to).
    7- I tried removing document parts backwards. After I have removed all content, the error still appearing.
    8- It seems since the error appears, your document will be corrupted forever. IT IS SCARY!
    9- After I have followed these steps, and in face of the way the error appeared, I couldn't understand what happened. And I am without idea on how to go ahead to solve the issue...
  • Updating information:

- Whether I open the crashed document first and try to use Zotero, the error appears. After that, even a blank document will present the error if it be opened since the first error have appeared.

- Just when I first create the blank document (in a new Word session, without to have opened the crashed document before) Zotero works... until the point it will crash in the way I mentioned before.
  • Updating information:

This problem seems not to be related to "one" document specifically. I tried to insert citation into some backups I had from two months to now. In all of them the error have appeared. I am "circulating", but the backup from before yesterday, in which I properly inserted a plenty of citations yesterday day isn't working. And as I mentioned in my first post, even creating a blank document from the template I create six months ago could not work.
  • The debugging broken documents instructions suggest steps to isolate one potentially corrupted citation - as far as I can tell you haven't tried this, or am I missing something?
  • I tried "Debugging..." What happened doesn't make sense (steps 1-9 above). After the error have appeared the document can't be recovered anymore, even undoing or trying to load a former version (saved as different documents). Even my backups from months are presenting errors. So, the problem isn't in a specific document, but it is spread to all my documents that were created before the error have appeared (I mean ALL, including written by third ones!).

I can insert citation just into the new documents created from now. And reinforcing, when I pasted the old content into the new one, the error appeared at some time. After that, even deleting all document content, or trying to recover former versions, the document can be recovered.

I really don't know what to do more (I even reinstall Zotero and Word addons). Besides the problem I can't insert citation in any former document since the error, I need to deposit my thesis to am examination soon. So, I am thinking to paste the text "without formatting" and to reinsert all the citations again. It will be crazy-hard-work-loss-of-time, but my deadline is in the corner!

Any light about what to do?
  • Regarding the old documents, it's nearly impossible for an error state like this to persist past restarting Firefox and Word (or your computer). Try that.
  • I could isolate a very strange behavior.

1- The documents that presents problem, when copied and pasted into desktop area begins to work. Nonsense.

2- Besides, ALL documents that are inside C: which presents the error, when pasted into "desktop"... begins to work!

3- If I open an "corrupted" document when the "good" one in desktop is opened at same time, the errors disappear from the other. I even could use the "insert citation pane". But the citation is inserted into the document that is opened from desktop.

4- Always I close the desktop document, the error begins again considering all documents into C:

5- None document into C: works because either they will presents the "error" or when opened together other document from desktop, the citation will be inserted into the desktop document, even the document from C: is selected.

6- After a panic day, at least now I could house my thesis into desktop and begin to work on time! But the nonsense problem desktop X C: X error continues.

Any idea about dealing with?
  • Zotero is working when the documents are opened from "desktop" because Explorer isn't being used. Explorer intermediation seems to be the problem.