citation style request for "Traffic Injury Prevention"

could someone provide the citation style for this journal "Traffic injury prevention". The instructions are as follows:

References. The Journal follows the reference style of the American Medical Association (AMA). Authors are responsible for the accuracy and completeness of their references and for correct text citation. Compile references at the end of the text after the acknowledgments if any. Number references in alphabetical order. In text, tables, and legends, identify references with author name and year, such as Jones et al. (2008) or (Jones et al. 2008). List all authors. The Journal discourages the use of website references. When listing refernces, use the citation found on PubMed with the abbreviate name of the journals, such as:

McCartt AT, Hellinga LA, Strouse LM, Farmer CM. Long-term effects of handheld cell phone laws on driver handheld cell phone use. Traffic Inj Prev. 2010 Apr;11(2):133-41

Digges K, Dalmotas D. Benefits of a low severity frontal crash test. Annu Proc Assoc Adv Automot Med. 2007;51:299-317

Thank you for your help.
  • look for the American Medical Association style on the repository - the instructions say that TIP follows that. Otherwise:
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Requesting-Styles
  • Thanks for the reply. None of the AMA styles i saw looks like the instructions given above. So, could you just ignore the AMA part and pls direct me to where I can get something close to the instructions above.Thanks.
  • The AMA styles look good to me. If they don't, follow my link above.
  • edited April 21, 2012
    Maybe someone more familiar with the Zotero styles can point to one that fits the guidelines as I explain below.

The author guide concerning referencing is more telegraphic than enlightening. Traffic Injury Prevention uses an author-date style. I have no idea why the instructions mention AMA. The journal has never used a numbered style. I examined the reference lists of articles from the past two issues.

The article bibliography should be sorted by author name.

Same author by date descending.

It seems that et al begins with the 6th author but I have seen articles where et al kicks in after three and some with more than 7. (Clearly the number of authors isn't something that could be the cause for rejection.)

No URLs unless the journal is online only or the cite is to an article ahead of print. In that case include the doi. Web sites are often included for sources of data or vital ststistics.
  • @ DWL-SDCA, Thank you so much for trying to understand my frustration. The essential parts of the style include

1. author-date
    2. et al and a full stop. no coma.
    3. alphabetical list of references
    4.in the list of references, all authors to be listed.
    5.abbreviate the journal name a la pubmed style, with a full stop after the abbreviated title, not in between the component abbreviations.

Thank you once again.
  • that sounds like Vancouver style with author-date references. I feel like I have done this before, but it's not anywhere I can find, so I'll code a version of this, but you'll likely have to do some checking.
  • style is up now - have a look and let me know how it works.