Can't disable automatic tagging using Zotero Connector

Just started testing out Zotero after switching from Endnote and it's a great product.
I'm using Zotero Standalone on a Mac OS X 10.7.3 laptop, and add references using the Chrome extension.
I have a very large (>10,000 item) library, and removed all tags because I found that was really making Zotero slow to a crawl for me. I have disabled the "Automatically tag items" checkbox in preferences. This works great when I am adding references while Zotero Standalone is open. The reference gets added as I want with no automatic tags.
However, if Zotero Standalone is closed, and I add a reference in Chrome through the "Zotero Connector", the reference is added to my library, but tags are automatically added. As I said, this really slows down my Zotero system to near unusability, but I don't see anywhere in the Zotero Connector Preferences in Chrome where I can disable automatic tagging. Plus I would expect it to simply respect the settings put in place using the Zotero Standalone app.
I did a quick test using the Safari connector and found the same result as well. Reference adds to library, but tags are added even though I don't want them.

How can I disable automatic tagging when adding references while Zotero Standalone is closed?
If this is not currently possible, can you please make it an option?

Thanks so much for all the hard work on this great software.
  • How can I disable automatic tagging when adding references while Zotero Standalone is closed?
    You can't, at the moment. There are a few preferences in the Zotero client that probably need to be synced with the server so that they're accessible in the connectors and bookmarklet.
  • Any update on this? As of 10-23-12, adding references when the client is closed still results in automatic tagging even though I want it not to.
    Thanks.
  • I hope there are plans on changing this. Automatic tagging through the bookmarklet (in my case) is very annoying after having pain-stakingly cleaned the standalone library from such tags. It's actually quite limiting for using ZotPad/mobile Zotero since it requires manual editing for each entry.
  • I'm not at all involved with server-side implementation of translators, so I have nothing on the issue itself, but you're aware that you can turn off the display of automatic tags in the tag selector on the left? (They'll still show up on the right)
  • Yes, that I know. I guess having those not show up in ZotPad is what I really want. Makes it very hard to get any use out of the tags.
  • you could ask the ZotPad dev whether a similar setting is possible in the app. I haven't actually checked how Zotero stores the information about automatic tags, but if this is done in a reasonable way, it wouldn't seem like a particularly hard feature to implement.
  • Is there any news on that?

In Zotero stand-alone and Firefox add-on, I have disable automatic tagging.
    When I use the Zotero Connector AND when the Z stand alone is closed, then the tags are automatically added. That would be great to have it as an option in the zotero connector preferences
  • idem in december 2015
  • I've created an issue for this. We certainly would like to support this, but it will not happen immediately.
  • I did not found any option and I would like to disable tags from Zotero Connector too.
  • Nothing new on this (and to be clear, this only affects the connector *when the Zotero Desktop app isn't running*), but you can, in the meantime, easily delete all automatic tags in the tag selector (in the Deskotp app), making clean-up much, much faster.