Is worth maintaining a parallel PDF/files organizing besides Zotero?

Hi,

Former I was a EndNote user. Since 4 months I am using Zotero with great satisfaction!

Along the years I have maintaining in Windows Explorer folders all PDF/files which I have in citation manager as well.

I was wondering whether is worth maintaining this parallel PDF/files database. Actually, I always handle the files through Zotero and this parallel database is taking HD space!

I would like to hear experience of other users about the ways of handling this issue…

a) Besides, considering an severe Zotero crash, is there any chance of PDF/files be damaged?

b) One of the organizing issues in Zotero (as EndNote) is that it stores the files in a plain way. I mean, the collections hierarchy are just virtual and the “storage” folder arranges the files one bellow the other (of course, considering the software point of view it should be the best way of handling the information!). Anyway, considering an possible “user” need of building up from “zero” the folder structures to a thousands of files, it would be almost impossible and hard-working! Does it sound as a general concern?

Thanks in advance,

Cadu
  • a) Zotero doesn't touch PDF files there is zero chance of corruption even if the Zotero database flames and burns.

b) I don't see a usage case where that becomes relevant. If you really need to, you can use the Zotfile plugin to create all types of customized output folders for Zotero attachments, but I really don't know when I'd want to do that.
  • I see no reason to maintain a folder structure. I search for PDFs in two ways:
    1) Using Zotero
    2) Using Spotlight (on Mac)

Neither needs a folder structure. Also, as for b) there is a script that can be used to create a folder structure based on Zotero data, although this can get a bit technical

https://github.com/mronkko/BuildFolderStructureForZoteroItems
  • edited April 18, 2012
    Thanks for information about Zotfile plugin and the Script to generate folder structure. I didn't know about this possibilities which will improve my Zotero experience!

About the collection structure and items into that, when I migrated from EndNote to Zotero it was hard-working to import the items + attachments. And I had to build up from “zero” the collections and classifying around 2000 items by hand into Zotero! I am “in love” with Zotero, but…

a) Considering the possibility of going from Zotero to other citation manager, does Zotero provides any way to export items in order to rebuild automatically the collection structure and classified items into the other application?

b) Considering any limitation in (a), should the mentioned Script provide any support with this issue, as an intermediary way to reorganize the items in system folder structure? And in cases of an item classified into two or more collections, will the attachments be duplicated along the built folder structure by the Script?

Best!
  • b) The current version of my script makes symbolic links. It could equally well create hard links or copies of files (which would result in duplicates).

But regardless of the what you end up doing, there are ways to build a folder structure from Zotero data.
  • edited April 18, 2012
    Zotero RDF and, I believe, Bibliontology RDF contain information on Zotero collections for each item - I don't think they are supported by any other citation manager, but they could be in theory. Same applies for the Zotero API, both server and local.
    Mendeley does, I believe, import the Zotero folder structure by reading the sqlite directly.
    For none of these options having the collection structure paralleled in the file system will provide any help.
  • Thanks everybody. I have learned a lot along this thread. And tons of parallel files were already deleted! Less files complexity to manage since now...
  • Hi Cadudesun,

I am having the same concerns and dilemma that you have few months ago.

So far I used zotero only for citation and I managed the pdf files manually on regulator folders. I am consider now managing the papers through zotero.

I was hoping to hear from you about your experience with the system so far.

Thanks.