Citing forewords and afterwords by separate authors, and author name reordering trouble in Japanese

Using Chicago, I want to cite the afterword (kaisetsu), contributed by Akasaka Norio, to a book (Nihon no shinsō) by Umehara Takeshi.

If I make both authors "Author" (著者), it comes out as:

Umehara, Takeshi, and Norio Akasaka. “Kaisetsu.” In Nihon no shinsō: Jōmon-Emishi bunka o saguru. Tokyo: Shūeisha, 1994.

Problems:
1. Not a coauthored book
2. Akasaka's name can't be reversed.
3. Umehara's name shouldn't have a comma in the middle since it's correctly marked as ja-JP.

If I make Akasaka the "Contributor" (寄稿者), he's not cited. If I make Umehara the "Contributor," he's not,

Chicago demands:
Francine Prose, introduction to Word Court: Wherein Verbal Virtue Is Rewarded, Crimes against the Language Are Punished, and Poetic Justice Is Done, by Barbara Wallraff (New York: Harcourt, 2000).

This would yield:

Akasaka Norio, afterword to Nihon no shinsō, by Umehara Takeshi (Tokyo: Shūeisha, 1994).

or maybe

Akasaka Norio, "Kaisetsu" to Nihon no shinsō, by Umehara Takeshi (Tokyo: Shūeisha, 1994).

How can I make either one happen?
I see that there has been some discussion of this topic in other posts, but has there been any resolution? If not, is there a workaround?

Thank you,
Nathan
  • edited April 13, 2012
    Named subunits (Preface, Foreword, Afterword etc) are a hard problem. I don't know that there is a solution yet.

For the names, Zotero 3.0.x doesn't have a way of flagging the correct order for names rooted in a non-roman script. The best you could do is to enter the full name in the family name field.

For this entry in multilingual Zotero (MLZ), you would enter the metadata in the original language, with 梅原, 猛 (family name, given name) as the main author, 赤坂, 憲雄 as the author of the afterword (again, not sure exactly where it would go in the item), 日本の思想 as the title, etc. You would then set Umehara, Takeshi (family name, given name) as the romanized form of the author name (ja-alalc97, I think -- the code is set via the Language panel in Preferences), Akasaka, Norio as the author of the afterword, and "Nihon no shisō" as the romanized title. You can also register a translation of the title (to English, French, other languages, depending on the target language of your own publication).

Once full metadata are available, you can select the language forms to use as transliterations and translations. If the toggle to use the ordering of the original language for names is set, you will get the expected result in the rendered citation.

(If you are already using MLZ and setting the romanized name as ja-JP, that is a mismatch between the field content and the language tag; the name should be in the original script in that case, with supplementary data as described above. Name ordering is controlled by the script in which the name is written, not by its language tag.)

If you are not running MLZ but would like to give it a try, note that it is not officially supported by the core developers at this point. We hope for its features to be merged into official Zotero down the road, and I have had no reports of data loss using the MLZ client, but be sure to heed the advice under the link above re backing up data etc.