Error Code: 618073857 Empty Response from Server. Try again in a few minutes

Hello Everyone!

On my Notebook (Win7x64, FF 11, Zotero Plugin 3.03) i try to sync, but i get repeatedly: "Empty Response from Server. Try again in a few minutes." What can i do?

Does anybody have a clue what to do?

Greetings and thanks in advance!
  • and again: 123625765
  • edited April 12, 2012
    That error report just indicates a missing password. First, make sure your username and password are correct in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences (though you should get a proper error for that, and maybe you've already corrected that).

Then restart Firefox and provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces the error.
  • Hi Dan,

thank you for the quick answer. I checked and reentered the password. Then i started a new sync attempt. After 3 hours i got the same error message again. Here is the deubug ID: D777163566

Stephan
  • So, that Zotero installation is trying to download over 100MB of library data, which is causing the sync process to fail in a bunch of ways. We're planning to switch to per-library syncing in Zotero 3.5, which would help tremendously in this case, but it's going to be tough to get this to go through in Zotero 3.0, which syncs everything at once.

I assume you added all this new data incrementally on another computer. Unless you have data on the notebook that you're trying to sync up to the server, what you can do is transfer your data directory from your other computer to the notebook, replacing its data completely. Zotero will then sync only new data. If that works, be sure to keep auto-sync enabled so that the sync never falls too far behind.

If you do have new data on the notebook, and not too much of it, you could export just the new data to RDF, transfer the library, and then reimport the RDF. You do not want to use export/import for transferring the full library.

In any case, be sure to make a backup of the notebook's Zotero data directory before you replace it.
  • (If transferring the data directory isn't feasible, there are a couple things we could try, but give that a shot first if possible.)
  • edited April 14, 2012
    Thank you for all these hints! The problem really was, tha i collected a lot of stuff on my desktop-pc. The Notebook wasn't synced some 20 days ago.

Now i did it, as you proposed by transfering the zotero data directory.
    And voila, it works!

Again, thanks for all the help!