Whole group library missing

Hello,

I am an owner of a group 'Research Through Design'. For some reasons, the whole group library is gone. I am quite shocked. Could someone please help? I hope there is a way to retrieve it.

Thank you.
Rosan
  • 55 items (including child attachments/notes) were deleted from that library on April 5th, but that's about all I can tell you. This would've had to have been an explicit deletion by someone—either you or some other member of the group.

Do you have a backup copy of your local database from before that date?
  • Thanks Dan. i did not delete this. I could not imagine why any of the admins would do such a thing on purpose.

No, I don't have a backup copy. I know, this sounds ridiculus. Any chance of retriving it? And is there a way to find out who has deleted the whole library?
  • No, we don't keep data that's been deleted or records of who deletes things (though we should perhaps change the latter).

If anyone in your group has a backup copy of their Zotero data directory (e.g., someone on a Mac using Time Machine, which makes automated backups), it'd be possible, though a little complicated, to restore the items.
  • Hi Dan,

I have asked someone who knows much better than I do to retreive a backup copy 'Zotero.squlite' (which is a UNIX executable file). Would you please instruct me how I can put the file back to Zotero? I am unable to open the file with my MAC.

many thanks.
  • Hi Dan,

I have read the instructions following the link.
    But I still have a question about restoring a missing library from a backup. I have several personal libraries and group libraries but only one is missing. And my back up is only for this missing library.

I am afraid of messing everything up. do I really just follow the instruction?

thanks,
    rosan
  • what do you mean by "my back up is only for this missing library"?
    How did you make that back-up?
    If you have a proper Zotero back-up as described above, there is no way to have that of anything but your entire Zotero library & all groups. If that back-up is from someone else's computer, don't use it on yours, though.
  • Hi Adam,

see, this is how ignorant I am with this technology.
    The back-up that I have was retrieved from a server of a company that I used to work for. Last June, I beg a technician there to get the back-up for me. I don't have the company's computer anymore, but my own Macbook. But since then, I have created more collections and new group library on my Macbook.
    So when I said that 'my back-up is only for this missing library', I really meant that 'the back-up does not have everything'.
    Rosan
  • yes, so the back-up will restore the library to the state it was in when you took the back-up - meaning that everything since then is lost, so that doesn't sound terribly attractive.

You could install the old back-up on a separate Firefox&Zotero profile or a new computer, though, and get the group library back from there. That is all getting a bit involved, though, so ideally you'd find someone tech-savvy to help you locally.
  • OK. Thanks. I am glad I have asked.
  • I'm glad I'm reading about this stuff now before something possibly goes wrong. Just added a bunch of members to a 1329 article zotero group. Found out that members can edit everything/anything. Never navigated through my directories faster to copy that sqlite!
    Though I wonder in the future if it would be possible to create an admin approval system for member change submissions? Is there a feature wishlist/freelancer page for Zotero?
  • kevincinque: You realize that you can change the group library settings so that members can't edit?
    Is there a feature wishlist/freelancer page for Zotero?
    If you have a feature request that you can't find in a search, you can just start a new thread.

Anyhow, closing this thread, since the original issue was resolved.
This discussion has been closed.