Question about Standalone

Is it possible to grab a citation directly from a webpage in Standalone, as it is for the version that attaches to Firefox? The icon that triggers that appears not to be in Standalone.

Thanks.
  • Seems like the answer was to another question in another thread. My question is whether it is possible, in Standalone, to grab a citation automatically and directly from a web page in whatever browser one is using.

There's an icon to do this in the version that attaches to Firefox, but there doesn't seem to be one in Standalone.

Thanks.
  • There isn't in Standalone itself, but with the connector installed for Safari or Chrome you can right-click (ctrl+click on a mac) anywhere in the webpage and use "Take Zotero Snapshot of Current Page".
  • having same issue in Firefox. I have the zotero icon in safari (OS X), but when in firefox, clicking zotero icon just brings me to standalone application, with no icon for downloading a snapshot. Rt click works (thanks), but cumbersome...why no one click operation for downloading snapshot with firefox? something wrong w my setup?? TIA
  • edited April 12, 2012
    When Standalone is open, the Zotero icon in Firefox will just bring Standalone to the front. If you want to use Zotero for Firefox in its normal mode, which includes the Create New Item from Current Page button, close Standalone.

The right-click option in the Safari/Chrome plugins will be moved to a button in a future version.

And, just to be clear, this is referring solely to web page snapshot functionality. You can save from sites with Zotero translators using the address bar icon in Firefox, Safari, or Chrome.
  • Thanks for the rapid clarification. But can you explain the last part:
    "You can save from sites with Zotero translators using the address bar icon in Firefox, Safari, or Chrome. "
    Look forward to button implementation soon!
  • Dan is referring to sites for which there are translators to download proper metadata. For example, for a New York Times article, you will find an icon in the address bar. Left-clicking on it (in Firefox, or in Safari or Chrome if they have the Zotero connector installed) will add metadata for the article, plus its content, to your Zotero database.