manage a citation list of your own papers

Hi Zotero users,

Zotero is a nice tool to manage papers and books that I cite, but I also would like to keep track of the papers that cite my own work. Is there a way to tell which papers in the database cite a given work of mine?

(I can see a workaround using tags, but I am wondering if there is a more elegant way to do so. Using tags, I would need to create a specific tag for each article I have written, e.g. CitingAuthor_Year_Journal, which is not very handy.)

Sorry if I missed something obvious.

Cheers
  • Zotero is a nice tool to manage papers and books that I cite, but I also would like to keep track of the papers that cite my own work. Is there a way to tell which papers in the database cite a given work of mine?
    no. Not anywhere in sight, either - Zotero doesn't know, can't parse, and can't save which papers are cited in a paper..
  • There is a planned feature "Document collections" that might eventually enable something like this.
  • @mronkko - really? The way I understand (planned) document collections, they allow you to see the papers you cite in any given document with Zotero rather than the papers that cite you - which I understand the question to be about. I wouldn't know how Zotero would even start to do the latter.
  • It seems that I misread the question, sorry.
  • If someone cared about it a lot, it may be possible to write an add-on that retrieves this information via resources like Scopus.
  • Although I really like the idea. However, it may be that I am paranoid but the idea of an add-on that grabs citation trees from Scopus or Thompson Web of Science may be asking for trouble. There have been discussions about copyright law here before concerning law and genealogy styles. Here it seems that we might be asking for mini-clones of their database's primary raison d'ĂȘtre. When Scopus was first being tested there were questions about whether Elsevier was infringing on Thompson patents and proprietary work practices. I don't know what became of that issue.

While I know that WoS is widely used and articles, volume and page numbers, and publication dates are used unedited when citing articles from that database; it is important to know that intentional errors are common. Unhyphenated title words have added hyphens, the hyphens of hyphenated words are dropped, a colon becomes a dash, an American English spelling becomes British and vice-versa. Article page ranges always begin with the correct page but the ending page can be the true end minus one page. I've been told that each year there are a few Mountweazels scattered into the database for commonly-searched-for topics. There is only one purpose for those entries.
  • FWIW, Microsoft has an API for this for MS Academic Search.