Maintaining Zotero Performance

Hi,

My Zotero database have increased in size and item numbers.

May anyone tell me any tips to maintaining Zotero performance (any setting to be made).

Besides general tips about performance settings, I intend to increase my database to have around 3000 items with PDF attached / 10 GB. Is this size reasonable to be supported by Zotero without performance issues (Zotero application / Wordplugin)?

Current database:
1787 (items collapsed)
3871 (items expanded)
Zotero.sqlite=116 MB
Zotero storage (folder)=7GB

Thanks in advance,
Cadu
  • 3000 items shouldn't be a performance issue at all, people work with larger databases (at least 10-15k) w/o trouble, I have a about 3000 items w/o any performance issues on a four year old laptop.
    My experience is that Standalone is generally faster than Zotero for Firefox (with the same, shared database), so if perfomance lags for whatever reason that's worth a try.
    There is no special maintenance required.
  • Many thanks for information. Actually, I couldn't realize any performance issue in my database (both Firefox and Standalone). Zotero is presenting a great performance!!!

HELP:

a) It is very common deleting items from Zotero database. For instance, in similar situation Access or Outlook applications provides a way to compact database in order to improve performance. How does Zotero deal with this issue? Is it handle automatically by Zotero?

b) The new items I will add to Zotero are about different subjects. So, I was wondering if there may be any advantage in creating a different database and toggle between the two databases I will have. What do you think?
  • a) Zotero uses an entirely different database system than e-mail clients, so the whole compression issue doesn't apply - not because Zotero does this automatically, but because the way Zotero deletes items doesn't require later compression.
    b) It's up to you - I'd generally not use several libraries/databases - you'll just confuse yourself and Zotero isn't set-up in a way that facilitates this.
  • edited April 2, 2012
    Thanks! About storage purchase the biggest size available is 25GB. Should it be the Zotero capacity limit?