Style Request: update Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics

There has been an update according to the reply we got from the editor in Chief March 2012.
http://www.jbsdonline.com/instructions-c4292.html

The existing CSL style closest to the new JBSD style is Basic and Applied Ecology. The differences I could pin point:
1- in the list JBSD has no space between first name and middle name initials (aka F.M. not F. M.)
2- JBSD lists all the names without using et. al
3- there is alignment between all the lines of the reference, i.e. the second through the last lines are not indented.

I couldn't find a reference paper, apparently this is a new format. Any input is highly appreciated. Thanks
  • I did my own trial to edit an existing CSL, but I need help fine tuning it. I am pasting the csl below

I am having a problem with citation. A reference with only 2 authors is sometimes cited as (First et al., year) and sometimes (First & Second, year). Same thing with multiple authors, sometimes the first is written followed by et al., and sometimes a list of the first 4 or 5 authors then et al.

Where can I possibly edit the csl file to control this
    Thanks

<style xmlns="http://purl.org/net/xbiblio/csl" class="in-text" version="1.0" demote-non-dropping-particle="sort-only" default-locale="en-US">
    <info>
    <title>Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics (new)</title>
    <id>
    http://www.zotero.org/styles/journal-of-biomolecular-structure-and-dynamics-new
    </id>
    <link href="http://www.zotero.org/styles/journal-of-biomolecular-structure-and-dynamics-new" rel="self"/>
    <author>
    <name>Rabab Toubar</name>
    <email>rabab_toubar@gmail.com</email>
    </author>
    <category citation-format="author-date"/>
    <category field="biology"/>
    <issn>1439-1791</issn>
    <updated>2012-02-07T01:46:04+00:00</updated>
    <summary>
    A style for journal "JBSD-new"
    </summary>
    <link href="http://www.jbsdonline.com/instructions-c4292.html" rel="references"/>
    <link href="http://www.zotero.org/styles/journal-of-biomolecular-structure-and-dynamics" rel="template"/>
    <rights>
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
    </rights>
    </info>
    <macro name="editor-translator">
    <names variable="editor translator" prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter=", ">
    <name and="symbol" initialize-with=". " delimiter=", "/>
    <label form="short" prefix=", " text-case="capitalize-first" suffix="." strip-periods="true"/>
    </names>
    </macro>
    <macro name="author">
    <names variable="author">
    <name name-as-sort-order="all" and="symbol" sort-separator=", " initialize-with="." delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always"/>
    <label form="short" prefix=" (" suffix=".)" text-case="capitalize-first" strip-periods="true"/>
    <substitute>
    <names variable="editor"/>
    <names variable="translator"/>
    <text macro="title"/>
    </substitute>
    </names>
    </macro>
    <macro name="author-short">
    <names variable="author">
    <name form="short" and="symbol" delimiter=", " initialize-with=". "/>
    <substitute>
    <names variable="editor"/>
    <names variable="translator"/>
    <choose>
    <if type="bill book graphic legal_case motion_picture report song" match="any">
    <text variable="title" form="short" font-style="italic"/>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text variable="title" form="short" quotes="true"/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </substitute>
    </names>
    </macro>
    <macro name="access">
    <group>
    <text term="retrieved" text-case="capitalize-first" suffix=" "/>
    <date variable="accessed" suffix=", ">
    <date-part name="month" suffix=" "/>
    <date-part name="day" suffix=", "/>
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    <group>
    <text term="from" suffix=" "/>
    <text variable="URL"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </macro>
    <macro name="title">
    <choose>
    <text variable="title" font-style="italic"/>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text variable="title"/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </macro>
    <macro name="publisher">
    <group delimiter=": ">
    <text variable="publisher-place"/>
    <text variable="publisher"/>
    </group>
    </macro>
    <citation et-al-min="6" et-al-use-first="5" et-al-subsequent-min="2" et-al-subsequent-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" disambiguate-add-names="true">
    <sort>
    <key variable="issued"/>
    <key variable="author"/>
    </sort>
    <layout prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter="; ">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="author-short"/>
    <date variable="issued">
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    <group>
    <label variable="locator" suffix="." form="short" strip-periods="true"/>
    <text variable="locator" prefix=" "/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </layout>
    </citation>
    <bibliography hanging-indent="false" et-al-min="20" et-al-use-first="20" entry-spacing="1" line-spacing="1">
    <sort>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key macro="title"/>
    </sort>
    <layout>
    <text macro="author" suffix="."/>
    <date variable="issued" prefix=" (" suffix=").">
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    <choose>
    <group suffix=".">
    <text macro="title" prefix=" "/>
    <text macro="editor-translator" prefix=" "/>
    </group>
    <text prefix=" " suffix="." macro="publisher"/>
    </if>
    <else-if type="chapter paper-conference" match="any">
    <group prefix=". ">
    <text term="in" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
    <names variable="editor translator" prefix=" " suffix="," delimiter=", ">
    <name and="symbol" sort-separator=", " initialize-with=". "/>
    <label form="short" prefix=" (" suffix=".)" text-case="capitalize-first" strip-periods="true"/>
    </names>
    <text variable="container-title" font-style="italic" prefix=" " suffix=""/>
    <group prefix=" (" suffix=").">
    <label variable="page" form="short" suffix=". " strip-periods="true"/>
    <text variable="page"/>
    </group>
    <text variable="collection-title" prefix=" " suffix="."/>
    <group suffix=".">
    <text macro="publisher" prefix=" "/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </else-if>
    <else>
    <group suffix=". ">
    <text macro="editor-translator" prefix=" "/>
    </group>
    <group delimiter=", " suffix=".">
    <text variable="container-title" font-style="italic"/>
    <text variable="volume" font-style="italic"/>
    <text variable="page"/>
    </group>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </layout>
    </bibliography>
    </style>
  • <citation et-al-min="6" et-al-use-first="5" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" disambiguate-add-names="true">

What you're telling Zotero to do here is this:
    1. The first time an item is cited, use et-al for references with more than 5 authors (et-al-min="6") and print the first five (et-al-use-first="5") followed by et-al .
    2. For any subsequent time an item is cited, use et-al for references with more than 1 author (et-al-subsequent-min="2") and print only that author (et-al-subsequent-use-first="1")followed by et-al
  • Great. Thanks for the explanation. I couldn't find a paper with the new citation and the paragraph mentioned on the "instructions" is just not enough. They have an endnote zip file though. Is there a way I can load it in zotero or open it for comparison ? I haven't used endnote before. Please let me know. Thanks again
  • Zotero has basic capability to read endnotes style files (in .ens format) If one of those is in the .zip you can install it from the Zotero preferences under Cite-->Styles (select ENS styles from the file-type selection box, it defaults to CSL).
    The conversion is no longer maintained and it's not terribly good, but it may give you an idea of how they want citations to look (it may also just not work - as I say, it's no longer maintained).
    Otherwise I would write to the editor - it's just not acceptable to require a style and then not document it properly - they may have a stylesheet they send to authors.
  • As you mentioned, it did not open the .ens and I got an error message asking to validate the code.
    The bright side is I contacted the editor and he sent me the styles. Now I need to edit the et-al part so that 2 authors are ALWAYS listed first and second and never use et-al
    - Six or more authors are ALWAYS listed as First et al.

Now thanks to you and the tips on Zotero website I know that I need to edit this line:
    citation et-al-min="6" et-al-use-first="5" et-al-subsequent-min="2" et-al-subsequent-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" disambiguate-add-names="true">

Sometimes I feel it might be easier to use the trial endnote now..or even edit it by hand after removing zotero codes. However, I want to learn and I am doing good editing so far :)
    Thanks in Advance
    Rabab

[[Below is the details of the citation:]]

[[A work by two authors
    Name both authors in the signal phrase or in the parentheses each time you cite the
    work. Use the word ‘and’ between the authors’ names within the text and use ‘&’ in
    the parentheses.
    Research by Wegener and Petty (1994) showed...
    (Wegener & Petty, 1994)
    A work by three to five authors
    List all the authors in the signal phrase or in parentheses the first time you cite the
    source.
    (Kernis, Cornell, Sun, Berry, & Harlow, 1993)
    In subsequent citations, only use the first author’s last name followed by et al. in the
    signal phrase or in parentheses.
    (Kernis et al., 1993)
    If two or more references of more than three surnames with the same year shorten to
    the same form, cite the surnames of the first authors and of as many of the subsequent
    authors as are needed to distinguish the references, followed by a comma and et al.
    Kernis, Cornell, Sun, et al. (1993)
    Six or more authors
    Use the first author’s name followed by et al. in the signal phrase or in parentheses.
    Harris et al. (2001) argued...
    (Harris et al., 2001)
    If two references with six or more authors shorten to the same form, cite the surnames
    of the first authors and of as many of the subsequent authors as are needed to
    distinguish the references, followed by a comma and et al.]]
  • any further problems let us know, happy to help.
  • Yes please Adam. I don't know how to leave this valid only for 3-5 authors and set new terms if I have 2 and a third one for 6 or more. I need to make sure the code is wOrking properly before I can share it on Zotero for future users. Any input is highly appreciated.
  • citation et-al-min="6" et-al-use-first="1" et-al-subsequent-min=3" et-al-subsequent-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" disambiguate-add-names="true">
  • for future reference - the T&F style they now use is essentially APA 6th edition - I've redirected the style on the repository accordingly.