DOI and ISSN required

When submitting an article I have found that the ISSN and DOI are now required in APA 6. However, when Zotero retrieves bibliographic data from a web page it never includes these fields, so I've had to go back through several hundred items to enter them manually. Is there any way of ensuring that Zotero captures these fields?
  • which database are you using? Zotero tries to get ISSN and DOI whenever it can. While it's correct that DOI is required, where are you getting the ISSN requirement from? I have never seen anything like that associated with APA style and it's nowhere on their webpage.
  • I'm not so sure about the ISSN requirement, but got the DOI one when submitting an article.
    Could you please explain what you mean by "what database"? I'm just using Zotero without any other databases.
  • edited March 24, 2012
    "What database?"

This question requests the site from which you imported the citation (journal publisher's site, PubMed, WoS, Scopus, EBSCO, JSTOR, etc.)

Some sites' metada include the issn while others do not. Still others provide oddly formatted ISSNs.

While I have heard of authors being asked to provide information (inclusing the ISSN) about a journal that is unknown to the editor and reviewers, I have not seen a journal's ISSN in article reference lists in any journal. I have seen agency and NGO reports that contain a Source List in addition to the refence list. The source list includes the names of all serials, reports, and books with each publisher's full address, book ISBNs, and serial ISSNs.
  • to expand on what DWL says - e.g. if you get your articles from google scholar, you'll typically not get the DOI imported. If you get it form the journal publisher or a major database provider (JSTOR, EBSCO), you usually (though not always) do.
  • This is my concern. I've picked up some 600 references from every database available, and have never seen the DOI imported - I've had to go back and add it manually every time.
  • we can't really say anything more if you don't specify the database(s) you used. APA Psycnet will get you DOIs. JSTOR will where they're available. EBSCO mostly will. All publishers I'm aware of (OUP, Cambridge, Wiley, Sciencedirect/Elsevier, Taylor and Francis) do.

If you point us to translators/databases that don't, we'll see what we can do - though in many cases it's just not possible (e.g. google scholar).
    In general, you will need to check your data for completeness to make sure Zotero has everything you need, there is no automated way to do that.