electronic repositories of primary sources

Hello,

I'm wondering how to enter into my collection a web-resource that is not a web-page per se. For example, the Patrologia Latina/ Graeca, the Acta Sanctorum, the Library of Latin Texts. The item type 'web page' has a field for title, author and date, but not publisher (e.g., Brepols is a major publisher of such electronic resources). Where should I enter that information?

I've been searching the 'discussions' and haven't found the answer; perhaps I've not searched under the right terms.
  • how do you want it cited?
  • Without using a particular style here, just the info separated by commas:

Library of Latin Texts, Series A and B (electronic resource), Centro Traditio Litterarum Occidentalium, Brepols, 2011

a short form in a note might be LLT-A, specific section

Acta Sanctorum: The Full-Text Database, Chadwyck-Healey, Proquest, 1999-2012

a short form in a note would then be AASS, specific section

These are sorts of resources, or reference works, with already established, conventional abbreviations, by which they are always cited in notes without dates of publication following. Then the full citation info is provided in "List of Abbreviations" section of a book in bibliography format.

Actually, it might work under the item type 'book' in which (Electronic Resource) is entered as part of the title. Except that these publications are not used in print form anymore.

I don't know what to do about URLs, as these resources can only be accessed via subscription, so depending on what research library you are at or use by proxy, you get a different one. My inclination is not to use the url for common reference works.
  • item types in Zotero aren't tied to a particular medium - e.g. books can be e-books or print books, newspaper articles can be print or digital etc.
    I see two ways to go here:
    1. You can use the book item type as you describe
    2. (This is what I do): You can use the webpage item type and put the database provider (Chadwyck-Healey, Proquest; Centro Traditio Litterarum Occidentalium, Brepols) as the website title. Since those are essentially the websites you're getting the data from, this strikes me as logically consistent, too. Also, that should come out mostly correct in existing citation styles.
    URLs are largely a question of style requirements - I agree with you to generally leave them out in such cases.