Word > OpenOffice

I am tired of Word for Mac 2011 (it constantly crashes large documents, footnotes strangely disappear, etc. etc.) so am switching to OpenOffice. I read on the forums that I need to change 'Format using' from Fields to Bookmarks mode in the Document Preferences dialog in order to allow me to take editable citations over.

Trouble is, it is disabled, and appears greyed out.

Any ideas what's going wrong?
  • I believe bookmarks don't work with styles in Footnotes, such as Chicago Manual of Style, MHRA etc.
    While that's a nuisance for people co-authoring with Libre Office and Word, for you that's actually only a minor problem: switch your style to any in-text style (Chicago author-date, e.g.) and you'll be able to switch to bookmarks. Once you have moved your documents over to LibreOffice (don't use Open Office - it's essentially a dead project that has been taken over by Libre Office) and saved them as .odt (that's important!), switch them to Reference Marks (the LO equivalent of Fields - works only for .odt documents) and switch your style back to the original, footnoted style.
  • Worked perfectly thanks.