Word plug-in does not handle multiple Ibids in single footnote correctly

I'm using Zotero 3.0.3 together with Microsoft Word 2007 and chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl.

The "ibid" is displayed correctly as long as there is not more than one citation per footnote, e.g.:

1 John M. Frame, The Doctrine of the Word of God (Phillipsburg, N.J.: P&R, 2010), 1.
2 Ibid., 2.
3 Ibid., 3.

But as soon as a second citation is added to the same footnote, the second citation and the following one are not recognised as Ibid:
1 John M. Frame, The Doctrine of the Word of God (Phillipsburg, N.J.: P&R, 2010), 1.
2 Ibid., 2. “Another citation…” Frame, DWG, 4.
3 Frame, DWG, 3.

I'm sure this is nothing new to you, but I couldn't find any other thread in the forum on it.

(BTW, I can't avoid using two citations in a single footnote, but I could of course add the Ibid manually.)

Thanks!
  • That's correct behavior for ibid - definitely according to Chicago Manual of Style, but I assume more generally. This would just be too confusing for the reader otherwise.
  • Hi Adam,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't think you're quite right with reference to the CMS (16th edition).

CMS 14.29 states: "Ibid. may also be used within one note in successive references to the same work." In my second example, the second citation in footnote 2 should therefore be an Ibid. CMS provides an example to that effect.

With regards to the change from Ibid. to the short citation in footnote 3 when a second citation (of the same work) is added to footnote 2, that is in line with CMS 14.29: "It [ibid.] must never be used if the preceding note contains more than one citation." But that assumes, of course, that more than one work is cited in the preceding note. So in my example above it is probably permitted, but CMS doesn't mention that exception.
  • If I understand your problem correctly, you're inserting references the wrong way. You should use Zotero to create the footnote and use multiple citations in the same footnote. If you're inserting a footnotes manually and inserting the citations individually you're confusing the processor.
  • edited March 17, 2012
    The method of entering the cites (all in one multiple citation via Zotero vs multiple individual citations in a manually created footnote) does seem to make a difference. It shouldn't do, so this was a bug. I've applied a fix and made a fresh processor release (version 1.0.302). When the new version makes its way into Zotero, you'll get the same behavior either way. If anyone is curious how this looks to the processor, the test case for it is here.