opening PDF blocks standalone

When I open a PDF-attachment in standalone (with evince, my standard viewer), zotero gets blocked. After I close the attachment, zotero resumes working as it should. This happens only with standalone (ver. 3.0.3 on Lubuntu 11.10), not with the FF-plugin (same version). Deleting the mimeType.rdf from ~/.zotero/zotero did not help. I have the Libreoffice-plugin 3.5.2.SA.3.0.3 and LyZ 2.1.4 installed, but disabling them did not help either. The problem does not occur with attached RTF's. Any clues? I could not find any references to this in the forums, my apologies in case I overlooked something.
  • No clues? Am I the only one that has this problem?
  • certainly has never come up for me on Ubuntu - I'd try to play around with this a bit to narrow it down - what happens when you switch to a different PDF viewer? What happens if you use right-click "Open in External Viewer" instead?
  • Thanks for answering!
    > What happens if you use right-click
    > "Open in External Viewer" instead?
    This makes no difference, it also blocks zotero. The only thing that works is opening the folder that contains the PDF and opening the PDF from there.
    > what happens when you switch to a
    > different PDF viewer?
    I don't know yet since I didn't succeed in changing the standard viewer to acroread. I'll try again, but it may take some time.
  • I didn't yet try to change the default viewer, but I did realize that the problem arises with LyX-attachments as well. Hence it is improbable that evince is the (only) source of problems.
  • Trying to trace down the problem, I just played around with different desktop environment, and it seems that the problem only occurs when I log into the "lubuntu" environment, not when I use gnome. Strange enough, it does also not occur with another configuration of LXDE... Stange enough, since I have no other problems with the Lubuntu environment...
  • doesn't really sound like a Zotero issue then. Have you asked on lubuntu or LXDE forums?
  • You're right, very probably some peculiar problem with the configuration of standard viewers. I'll first try to reproduce it on a clean Lubuntu install and then, if the problem reappears, write to the Lubuntu forum. Thanks for your advice!
  • edited September 7, 2013
    Just had the same problem : Opening a PDF attachment with the external viewer (evince) blocks Zotero until the viewer is closed.

I run xdg-open from the terminal and I noticed the following errors/warning :

WARNING: You don't seem to have any mimeinfo.cache files.
    Try running the update-desktop-database command. If you don't have this command you should install the desktop-file-utils package.

Installing the desktop-file-utils package solved the problem for me.

This thread may be related/duplicate.