translator for U.S. Forest Service 'TreeSearch' publications

USDA Forest Service publications are all catalogued, searchable, and downloadable at http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us

I use these a lot and currently have to capture citations via scholar.google.com or the like, and then plug in abstracts or add pdfs secondarily.

Can Zotero be made to capture directly from the treesearch page?

Thanks

Kerry Woods
  • not easily, not. Someone would have to write a dedicated translator - which is a good amount of work - and, more problematically - the site doesn't display data in a structured fashion, which will make any translator fragile and of limited quality.

Ideally, you'd lobby treesearch to include metadata (e.g. googlescholar/highwire metatags) on the site.
  • treesearch translator just got uploaded to the repository. It should show up on your computer within 24 hours.

From my limited testing it works quite well, but there are a couple shortcomings with no easy fix.

I couldn't see any easy and universal way to parse publication title, volume, issue, and publisher location from the source field for books and book sections. If you can come up with some way to reliably extract that data, we can always add it in.

DOI, ISSN, and ISBN are not provided.

Everything else should work, but let me know if there is a problem with any of the fields.