Harvard Author-Date Page Numbers

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can provide me with a bit of advice. I'm putting together a large academic manuscript that was converted from a thesis. The thesis originally used Chicago, but the book publisher prefers Harvard Author Date.

I have successfully converted it on the file (zotero is awesome). However, I'm having trouble with converting the page numbers. For instance, the publisher wants the in-text citations to be (Smith 2000: 11-12). At the moment, my in-puts through zotero have been (Smith 2000, pp 11-12). How do I get rid of pp?

I am aware of going into into Editor (when adding the citation) and changing it manually. I am wondering if there is an easier way to do it without having to change each one individually.

Thanks.
  • "Harvard" is the name for a family of styles - there is no defined Harvard style. How page numbers are displayed in citations is part of each citation style.
    If all that matters is the colon and the lack of pp, you can use, e.g. the American Sociological Association style, which is a harvard-family style.

Otherwise you'll have to manually edit the style you like best:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
  • Thanks, Adam.

I just found out that "Harvard" is a family (I never realized there were so many styles until today) - I've been using the Harvard Author-Date style (which is what was advised), but have been going into the editor and changing it.

The American Sociological Association style seems be almost perfect. I might attempt to adjust it to perfection.

Your advice has been very helpful!
  • i modifies harvard author date 1, but attempts at installing it have proved abortive, despite the fact that i tested the adjustment and it worked. can someone help please, i'm frstrated!
  • Have you validated your modified version of the style?
  • if you post your style to pastebin.com or gist.github.com someone can take a look and likely tell you what the problem is.