global prefix/suffix in citations

I would like to be able too add a prefix in a citation that always appear before first citation in a group.

For instance.
(e.g. Hyvärinen et al. 1992; Esseen et al. 1996)

As it is now I have to add the prefix to the Hyvärinen citation. However, if I switch to a style that sorts citations by author and not by year I will get this:
(Esseen et al. 1996; e.g. Hyvärinen et al. 1992)

I will also need to change the prefix if I decide to add a third citation that sorts before Hyvärinen:
(Gauslaa 1985; e.g. Hyvärinen et al. 1992; Esseen et al. 1996)

Thus I wish that there was a way to easily add prefix to the whole group. Preferably through the quick format citation box

Johan
  • edited February 28, 2012
    I would like to be able too add a prefix in a citation that always appear before first citation in a group.
    No.
    As it is now I have to add the prefix to the Hyvärinen citation. However, if I switch to a style that sorts citations by author and not by year I will get this
    I'm not concerned about the first point. But the second point is an issue, and demonstrates that we have no way to attach affixes to the citation as a whole; only individual references within it.

This is a valid point, but how would you see it working in the UI? Where would you put the citation affixes, in relation to the relation affixes, so that the UI remains clean and simple?
  • For prefix I think it would be possible to simply click left of the first citation and start typing the prefix. That would not work for a suffix because then it would look-up citations in the database as soon as you start typing. However, this is mostly an issue for prefix because suffices are usually citation specific I guess.