Alert: There was an error starting Zotero

I have Zotero Standalone 3.0.3 and a Chrome connector. Zotero worked for around 2 weeks and now the above message appears when I try to open the program. I submitted the Debug Output Logging to the Zotero Server. These are the Report Errors:

[JavaScript Error: "Object [object Object] has no method 'getErrors'" {file: "chrome-extension://jciblakmllnhbhjjgkbkeihelcndmgnh/zotero/debug.js" line: 155}]

[JavaScript Error: "Object [object Object] has no method 'getErrors'" {file: "chrome-extension://jciblakmllnhbhjjgkbkeihelcndmgnh/zotero/debug.js" line: 155}]

[JavaScript Error: "undefined is not a function" {file: "chrome-extension://jciblakmllnhbhjjgkbkeihelcndmgnh/zotero.js" line: 91}]

[JavaScript Error: "undefined is not a function" {file: "chrome-extension://jciblakmllnhbhjjgkbkeihelcndmgnh/zotero.js" line: 91}]

Hope someone knows how to fix this problem.

Thanks a lot!
  • I submitted the Debug Output Logging to the Zotero Server.
    We need a Debug ID.

But if you're getting "There was an error starting Zotero", only the errors in Zotero matter, not those from the connector. Are you able to provide an error report from Standalone? (If not, I can provide manual instructions.)

Have you tried restarting your computer?
  • Oh, OK. I do get the "There was an error starting Zotero" alert, so guess it's about a Standalone problem then. I'm not sure how to get an error report from Standalone, so would be great if you can provide me with the manual instructions.
    And yes, I have tried to restart my computer, but without luck.

I appreciate your assistance!
  • OK, I've updated the Reporting Startup Errors instructions for Standalone.
  • Thank you. This is the message that comes up in the Error Console window:

[Window Title]
    Location is not available

[Content]
    C:\Program Files\Zotero Standalone\ refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

[OK]
  • Ah, well, you'll need to replace "C:\Program Files\" with the path to the Program Files directory on your system—wherever the Zotero Standalone directory is. (Those instructions are for Windows XP. I don't know offhand what the program files location is for Vista and Windows 7.)
  • Probably C:\Program Files (x86)\
  • Thanks to both of you. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with how you replace "C:\Program Files\" with "C:\Program Files (x86)\" - or, in other words, what I did didn't seem to change anything. I opened the Properties for the Standalone and tried to change the location, but didn't seem to help.

Any ideas?

Sorry for my lack of programming knowledge!
  • We're just saying to run a different command, i.e.:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero Standalone\zotero.exe" -jsconsole
  • OK. An error console comes up and it shows a long list of errors, warnings and messages (such as 'Zotero.Standalone is undefined' etc.). I am not able to interpret anything constructive from these - can these possibly be helpful to solve the problem if I copy-paste them to the forum? It's a quite long list!
  • Yes. That's what the instructions say to do.
  • (@Dan - the instructions are still a little confusing because it's unclear when the user is supposed to jump from the ZSA instructions back to the ZFF instructions).
  • edited February 28, 2012
    You're not supposed to jump back—the bottom of the Standalone instructions say to copy and paste into the forums. (The spacing is just a little tight before #3.)
  • OK, here they are:

Failed to load native module at path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero Standalone\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\components-8.0\zoteroWinWordIntegration.dll': (80520012) <unknown; can't get error from NSPR>

Warning: Error in parsing value for 'clip'. Declaration dropped.
    Source File: resource://gre-resources/ua.css
    Line: 274

Error: Zotero.Standalone is undefined
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js
    Line: 468

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED) [mozIStorageConnection.executeSimpleSQL]" nsresult: "0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 1003" data: no]
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js
    Line: 1011

Error: Zotero.Standalone is undefined
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js
    Line: 468

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]

Error: Zotero is undefined
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/bindings/styled-textbox.xml
    Line: 120

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js :: init :: line 305" data: no]
    Source File: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero%20Standalone/components/zotero-service.js
    Line: 283

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero%20Standalone/extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 38" data: no]

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch2.getIntPref]" nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/bindings/findbar.xml :: :: line 366" data: no]

Some seemed to be identical, so only copy-pastet one of each.

Thanks!
  • edited February 29, 2012
    Have you tried reinstalling Zotero? It may or may not help.
  • I thought about that, but was afraid that I'll loose my bibliography that way - do you know if that is so?

Thanks!
  • you should certainly make a back-up
    www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#backing_up_your_zotero_library
    (you should have a regular automatic back-up of all your important data anyway), but that's just for safety - you should be OK just re-installing and your will never disappear.