disambiguate-add-givenname not working

Recently I've had issues adding citations.

When I try to add an in-text citation firefox freezes and word does not insert the citation properly but instead leaves a field in my document that just says "{citation}".

This doesn't happen to all citations. It only occurs when I add two citations with the same year and author. AND only when the author is a single field author - an organisation rather than a person with a first and last name.

More specifically, this is the line of code I have been using:

<citation et-al-min="4" et-al-use-first="1" et-al-subsequent-min="4" et-al-subsequent-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-givenname="true" givenname-disambiguation-rule="by-cite" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" collapse="year">

Is this a known issue? Can it be avoided? I think its possible it may have only become an issue after a recent zotero update?

Josh
  • I don't doubt you, but with that config line in a test fixture and input as you describe, the processor runs fine and produces the expected result.

We should start by checking your Zotero version. If you're not yet on 3.0.3 you should upgrade before we go further.

If you can reproduce this in a document with a small number of references, please export the items as Zotero RDF, paste the exported file content to http://gist.github.com/, save as a "Public Gist", and post the URL from the address bar back here with an explanation of what we should do with the items to reproduce the fault.
  • I was having the problem at work but I've just downloaded the latest version of Zotero for Firefox at home and confronted the same issue (in both cases using Word 2010).

I've pasted two example references.
    It seems to be any two references of the same year with an organisation as author will cause the problem.

https://gist.github.com/1899706

I believe to reproduce the fault you'll just need the above line in a citation style. Then just put both references as in-text citations into the document. I've found I have the problem putting either in first, or putting them both in as a single citation.
  • ... and the good news is that I can reproduce the fault here. Dinnertime now, but I'll have some more news when this has been fixed. Thanks for taking such care over the report.
  • Okay, this is now fixed, in processor release 1.0.289. The bad behavior will disappear when the processor is picked up for the next Zotero release.

I didn't trace the exact logic of the hang, but it was triggered by an attempt to initialize the given-name portion of the single-field names, which is empty.
  • OK good to know thanks for your help.
  • I'm having this same problem, but it's Zotero freezing instead. Any thoughts? Also noted the issue here: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23281/zotero-not-responding-whenever-button-is-clicked-in-word-addin/

Thanks for your help, love the program otherwise!
  • As indicated above, the bug reported in this thread was fixed six months ago. The fix has been incorporated into Zotero 3.0.8, which uses processor version 1.0.353.

The first thing to check would be your Zotero version number. If you are not using the latest, you should upgrade. If you are on the latest version and still experience a freeze, it is a separate bug, and your best bet would be to start a separate thread.