Automatically classifying journal articles

2»
  • He doesn't have the time, and I don't really have the chops. We made this relatively quickly for an EU project and it did do the trick. I'm sure there may be other/better ways to accomplish the same goal, but AFAIK this is still the only way to do it - which I why I thought it would be useful to bring to the attention of others through the plugin list. It only works on academic journals and there is no progress bar or anything.
    If somebody would be willing to have a look at this, that would be great.
  • I tried to get the xpi signed, but received an error message: "Your add-on failed validation with 1 error. Starting with Firefox 53, new extensions on this site can only be WebExtensions". I would be really grateful if somebody might be able and willing to help me out with getting this approved.
  • Thanks - ands yes, I did see that. But since I am not a developer, I have no idea what needs to be done do to get the plugin in a format that CAN be uploaded
  • edited April 25, 2017
    Honestly I wouldn't worry about figuring that out. Zotero is going to go to Standalone-only soon, and that doesn't require extension signing.
  • @sdspieg: You can try to make it compatible with Zotero Standalone.
    I don't know if that requires non-trivial changes but you should begin by updating install.rdf (and perhaps chrome.manifest) as it was done for example with another plugin, Zotero Maps (have a look there).
  • Am I really still the only one who would really at least like to make this plugin functional in Zotero 5.0; and preferably even improve it (e.g. with API calls to some available classified list of all academic journals, instead of what we did in the xpi... And what you describe @Gracile may seem trivial to you, but it is not to me. I wouldn't even know where to start.
  • I've made pull requests for the two changes that Gracile described as trivial. No idea if that'll be enough for this to work, but you should at least be able to try installing it.
  • Thanks Sebastian! We'll try it out...
  • hi, currently i'm struggling to classify the academic journals into disciplines, I'm so excited to find this useful plugin. however,this plguin can not be added into firefox rightly, might due to my own problems. does this plguin still work now or is there any advanced version?
  • edited May 21, 2020
    This definitely won't work in its current form, no, and I don't think there's a replacement. I don't think it'd be a ton of work to get to work, but it would require someone with a bit of (ideally js) dev experience.