plug in update

Was there a new plugin or any other type of update for today? I got a message that there was one but Firefox wouldn't let me download it. I didn't get the file name but I think it had to do with a Word plugin. Any help would be great!
  • I just got the message that there was an update ready to install. 1.0.3.r2245, but it won't let me install it. I got the message:
    because Invalid field hash possible (download corruption)-261.
    Any answers? I haven't had any problems with any other updates. Is there a fix for this and if so where? I looked at the discussions but didn't find anyone else that had the same issue. Thanks
  • Well, for starters, you're using a dev build. Unless this is what you intend to be running, you should install Zotero 1.0.3 from the front page.
  • If I install the Zotero I.0.3 will I be able to switch my library to the new one?
  • Yes. Just install 1.0.3 from the front page over your current copy.
  • I did download the regular version of Zotero & then reinstalled the plugin for Word 2003. But since I did this 1 & half ago I haven't gotten ANY updates for the plugin. How do I find out about what updates have been made & how I get them now?
    A related problem is that when I went to reinstall the plugin I get the screen that shows you the progress of the installation, it tells me that it was installed completely, but the progress bar doesn't finish loading. Could this be why I am not getting updates? Did it not completely install like the window tells me it did? Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • You can check your version by going to the gear icon & selecting "about zotero." 1.0.3 is the current official release & happened in early February. When a new release is made, Firefox should automatically update the extension. The transalators are often updated in the background. If it is working, you probably don't have anything to worry about.
  • I do have the 1.0.3 version loaded. But I haven't gotten any updates within the past 2 weeks. I know there were some because before I downloaded the other version I was getting them often, but they would never install because I kept getting this error message: Invalid field hash possible (download corruption)-261. It was why I re-downloaded the other version. Now I'm not getting any updates. How can I find out what updates have come out recently?
  • But I haven't gotten any updates within the past 2 weeks.
    That is because there haven't been any updates since February (see above).
    I know there were some because before I downloaded the other version I was getting them often
    You had the developer's version. This is updated very frequently (whenever a change is checked in to the source code version control system). Some of these changes might potentially break Zotero & that is why you were encouraged to switch to the stable release version. Eventually, the changes of the developer version will be included in a new stable release.
    How can I find out what updates have come out recently?
    The current release version will always be linked to from the zotero home page. It should automatically update as needed, just like all of your other extensions.
  • A related problem is that when I went to reinstall the plugin I get the screen that shows you the progress of the installation, it tells me that it was installed completely, but the progress bar doesn't finish loading. Could this be why I am not getting updates? Did it not completely install like the window tells me it did?
    I discovered what causes the progress bar to get stuck halfway after a successful installation of the plugin: the progress bar uses the relative position of the line being executed in the installation script. As there currently is some code at the end of the script that is only executed when the script fails, the progress bar never fills up completely during a normal install. This problem is further discussed here:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=2364a0b77414b45fbd4e06f8c0e66a2f&threadid=125812&highlight=progress+bar

I send a fix by email to Dan some months ago, but he hasn't replied or applied the changes in Installer_Word_Win.nsi (maybe my email got lost?). I am testing out the features of TortoiseSVN now, and I just uploaded a patch (http://groups.google.com/group/zotero-dev/web/InstallerUpdateProgressBar.patch) to the zotero-dev google group that can be applied to the installer script to correct this issue.
  • I discovered what causes the progress bar to get stuck halfway after a successful installation of the plugin [...] I send a fix by email to Dan some months ago, but he hasn't replied or applied the changes in Installer_Word_Win.nsi
    OK, changes applied in SVN. (We haven't rolled a new build since February, but we'll be releasing new versions soon, including the completely rewritten versions for OOo and Mac Word.)
  • But those will use the same installers, or won't they?
  • Well, only the Windows/Word version has a real installer currently, and that's not being rewritten. The install process for the rewritten plugins hasn't yet been finalized.