Editing citations

This is a problem that I have encountered for years. I wonder whether anything has been done about it with Zotero 3. I have updated to Zotero 3 and the plugins that go with it. My problem is that I cannot edit Zotero citations. I thought that I might now be able to do so. I still get the "You must place the cursor in a citation to edit it" comment. When I place the cursor in the citation, I get a red box that allows me to type in my edits to the citation. However, when I hit enter, the citation does not change. I thought it might update if I hit refresh. No such luck. In the past, I have solved the problem by deleting the citation and reentering it completely. That sucks up a lot of time. Has this problem been handled? If not, is there a solution that someone can suggest? This is a problem that goes back several years (as far back as 2007). Why hasn't development solved it yet? I like many of the improvements in Zotero 3, but I am growing weary of this problem and am coming close to giving up on Zotero myself and telling my students to do the same. It seems a minor problem but honestly it is not minor when one has a large document.
  • In Zotero 3.0 you can just edit citations directly in the document.
  • edited February 21, 2012
    Well, I guess it depends what you mean by "edit". What are you trying to do, exactly? If you need to make modifications to the output, you can do that directly in the document in 3.0. (Previously you had to make output modifications in the Edit Citation dialog.) If you're trying to switch to a different item, add an item, change the locators, etc., you use Edit Citation and make the changes in the red box, and then the document should immediately update with your changes.
  • This is a problem that goes back several years (as far back as 2007).
    No, it isn't. Zotero has always supported editing citations. But we can't help you if you don't ask for help.