Custom citation style no longer works in SA, but works fine in FF

Abstract: My difficulty is with a custom citation style that used to work just fine with both Zotero SA and the Zotero FF extension, but after a recent Zotero SA update, now works as it should only with the Zotero FF extension. For these reasons, I have posted the below to both the Citation Style and the Zotero SA forums.

You would think that in 2012 citation styles would have evolved to accommodate the fact that the line between print and online journals have blurred considerably and a source may be located in print by volume, issue, page AND online by doi and/or a URL. Oftentimes, peer-reviewed online versions of papers lay behind a pay-wall that not all can access, and in the interest of intellectual honesty one should indicate as many ways as possible for readers to locate the cited source. If there is a print version one might find at a local library, or on an online library database like EBSCO or Proquest, by a static URL, or by a doi, then any competent citation style should be flexible enough and thorough enough to indicate all of them.

As an undergraduate, one of the things I appreciated about the MLA style is the thoroughness with which it cites sources, making the process of fact-checking an author's writing easier. However, the "in text" author-date citations of the MLA style are "speed bumps" for the eyes and brain, making an MLA paper a very difficult and jarring read for anyone that was not an English major.

Now out of school and an aspiring science writer/blogger, I want to thoroughly cite my sources like the MLA style, while not making my citations so obnoxious and jarring that my pieces are hard to read.

To that end, I modified the format for the journal Nature, so that within the body of the text, there is but an unobtrusive, numerical superscript with a robust, MLA-type citation in the bibliography.

Until last week, my modified style was working just fine with both Zotero Standalone and the Zotero Firefox extension and I could effortlessly drag and drop citations into both Word 2010 and LibreOfiice Writer documents. After a Zotero SA update late last week I could no longer drag and drop from Zotero SA, but my custom style still drags and drops like it always did with the Zotero Firefox extension.

And to make this highly selective bug even more annoying, my custom style still validates just fine at the Validator.nu site.

I would welcome any insight into the causes(s) and possible solutions of this issue.

PS: Might I suggest that the forum posts be sorted by date. It is not at all helpful when one finds a post that appears to be related to a user's current dilemma, only to find that the post was from 2008.