Cannot convert footnotes to in-text citations

Hello,

I am using Zotero 3.0.1 with Mac integration (though I'm not sure of what version of that) with Word for Mac 2008. My document is in Chicago style with footnotes (full note) and I would like to change my citations to Chicago style (author-date) in-text. However, when I convert them they change from the footnote style: 1. B. Brubaker, β€œIn Haiti: the art of resilience,” Smithsonian, September 2010, 42–49.

to 1.(Brubaker 2010, 48), but it is still in the footnote and actually not "in-text" and the superscripted footnote numbers are still in the document as well. I tried changing it with different styles and changing it back and forth as you suggested above, but nothing seems to work. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you.
  • did you create the footnotes manually or by inserting a citation? Only in the latter case would you be able to switch to an in-text style.
  • I inserted a citation using Zotero. But, the document has had multiple drafts, and been mailed to multiple individuals, so I am worried that something got messed up along the way.
  • I am having the same problem. My document was originally in in-text, I changed it to an endnote style, and now that I try to revert it back, the endnotes remain, but 'harvardized'.
    This has happened on a longer document that I had submitted to multiple changes of citation style and much shifting around of chapters into and out of.
    But it has now also happened to a smaller document.
    Is Zotero unable to automate this process? It should be able to - logically.
  • I have followed the instructions given in another place about converting first from endnotes to footnotes before in-text. Still no change. It is as if the document was created with manual, Word-inserted footnotes, but this is not the case. However, perhaps the problem arises when you (while in an in-text mode) insert a manual footnote and within it add a zotero citation??
    FYI Zotero 4.0.21.5, MS Word 2010
  • In other words, somewhere along the line of editing and inserting citations, citations have broken free from Zotero and become bona fide Word foot/end notes.
  • Another clue:
    I'm going back through earlier versions of this document to try to trace this point of breakage. A slightly earlier version, still in endnote style, gives the following error when trying to change to footnote style OR to in-text:

The requested member of the collectino does not exist. code: "0" function: "zoteroWinWordDocument::Convert" location: "zoteroWinWordDocument.cpp"'The requested member of the collectio ndoes not ext. code:"0" function: "zoteroWinWordDocument::Convert" location: "zoteroWinWordDocument.cpp"' when calling method: [zoteroWinWordIntegrationErrorHnadler::throwError]
  • We've consistently seen this converting citations from endnotes so that's not surprising. You're changing the footnotes/endnotes settings under "Set Document Preferences" in the Zotero add-on, right? Doing it in Word proper likely won't fix it.

Did you type the above error message or copy&paste it? I'm asking because there are typos in there that'd be odd coming from Zotero.

If you get that error message in trying to convert endnotes to footnotes with Zotero, I'm not sure there'll be an alternative to
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents
    but that certainly is not a general problem as you'll have seen in the other threads, where this consistently fixed the issue.
  • I've been through the broken documents link already and, as I said, it appears at some point Zotero has decided the endnotes it inserted were Word's.
    Either that or, as I said, the error msg may offer a clue? (The error message is not copiable on mac so I typed it.)
    This is frustrating as it's very time-consuming to re-enter over 100 references - compared to a couple of clicks of a mouse.
    And yes, of course I'm referring to footnote/endnote radio buttons in Set Doc Prefs, not in Word.

• I've been through the broken documents link already and, as I said, it appears at some point Zotero has decided the endnotes it inserted were Word's.
    Meaning the problem exists in both halves of the split document? And how about the error when converting to footnotes? Does that also affects both halves of the split document?
  • Also ran into this problem. Made up the world's worst macro to fix it. Hope its helpful. Someone who knows things can make it pretty if they want, but it works--just takes a while.

Sub FixAllFootnotes()

For Each FNOTE In Word.ActiveDocument.Footnotes
    ' just an uggly way to find number of footnotes

'now an ugly way to find the next footnote
    Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
    Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
    With Selection.Find
    .text = "^f"
    .Replacement.text = ""
    .Forward = True
    .Wrap = wdFindAsk
    .Format = False