Zotero won't accept .ris file?

I have exported a ris file from my uni lib, but zotero tells me, that it is not a supported file? I use standalone... and firefox... none of them works...
What to do?

Maria
  • If it says that it's likely not a valid RIS file. Open it in a text editor and post a small excerpt here.
  • TY - THES
    TI - Att kasta yxan i sjîn, en studie îver rituell traditionoch fîrÑndring utifrÜn skÜnska neolitiska offerfynd
    PB - Almqvist & Wiksell International
    PB - Almqvist & Wiksell
    PB - Almqvist & Wiksell international
    CY - Stockholm
    SN - 9122016287
    ID - dedupmrg73603054
    BT - Att kasta yxan i sjîn, en studie îver rituell traditionoch fîrÑndring utifrÜn skÜnska neolitiska offerfynd
    BT - Att kasta yxan i sjîn, en studie îver rituell tradition och fîrÑndring utifrÜn skÜnska neolitiska offerfynd
    AB - Disputats, Lund 1994
    Y1 - 1994
    AU - Karsten, Per
    ER -

here is the file from textedit...
  • that should be valid. Try selecting the content of the file (ctrl+a), copy it (ctrl+c) and then go to Zotero and select "import from clipboard" see if that works.
    If it doesn't, first try for the item you posted above - selet everything from TY through ER - , copy and select import from clipboard. That should work (it does for me). At that point, try doing this with smaller chunks of the original RIS file to track down the problem.
  • Okay, the clipboard thing worked :-) Thank you...
  • Can Zotero intercept an .RIS file being downloaded and streamline the process? If the user has Zotero running, the chances are that he or she probably wants to import it as a Zotero item rather than keep it as an .RIS file for use with Endnote. So, why not build a routine to intercept an .RIS file while Zotero is running?
  • wonblee:
    1) Your Post isn't related to the thread.

2)This already exists:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/general
    Use Zotero for downloaded RIS/Refer files
  • @noksagt,

Thanks for the response. I thought my post was relevant, because Zotero doing the "file downloading + opening + copying + importing from clipboard" on behalf of the user would be a better solution to the OP's issue.

In any event, I have "Use Zotero for downloaded RIS/Refer files" checked in the preferences, but I still have to do the "open + copy + import from clipboard" routine manually.
  • Please provide more details. Where did you obtain the file? URL for source? What version of Zotero? etc.?
  • I'm using MLZ.
    I'd like to provide the specific URL, but the database I'm using (kiss.kstudy.com) hides the address to the individual reference behind a generic search result address.
  • edited February 4, 2013
    I cannot replicate your problem because the url you provided and the link to the service provided on the http://kstudy.com homepage never completely loads the page. There is something peculiar about the way that site handles requests.
  • I can get to RIS export - it's served without a mime type, Zotero can't recognize it as RIS.
  • @adamsmith, Thanks for the verification. At least now I can rest assured that the problem is not on my end.
  • I had a similar experience with RIS. I tried exporting RIS from ZOTERO, then importing the same file. Zotero said "File is not in a supported format" !!
    I tried your clipboard trick and that worked OK.
    So is this a ZOTERO bug? It cannot import its own files?!
  • Generally Zotero imports its own files. We'd need more details on this. If you can consistently replicate this, then uploading the file somewhere would be helpful.